Step A to Step Z in assembling computer from ground-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have never built a computer from ground-up. I have been around computers for decades and in fact I work at a computer repair shop so I am fairly confident that I can build my own computer. Can someone tell me the exact steps on what to do with the following parts?

CPU: Core i7 - 920 2.66
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: 6GB (3x2gb)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model VS2GB1333D3 G - Desktop Memory

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Video Card: Crossfire Radeon 4850 512MB
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Harddrive: 640GB Western Digital
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Motherboard: ASROCK x58 Extreme 1366
Newegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Power Supply: 750W Corsair
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Case: Antec 900
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Thermal Paste: Artic Silver 5
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

All this for like $1130.

My main concern is to how exactly do I assemble this. Do I put the video card, memory and cpu, cpu cooler replace the stock first into the motherboard? Then try to get the motherboard attached to the case?

I know there are guides online. But people in these forums mastery is assembling computer. What is your way?

P.S. I already bought these parts, waiting for them to arrive. I wanna make some last-minute tool buying so when these parts arrive I can build it.

So far all i have is a phillips screw driver.
What is the first step to do ?
Then the next?
What would you do , in which order do you usually assemble?
How exactly do I apply the thermal paste?
When do I apply it?

All you'll need in terms of tools is your philips screw driver.
Since you're buying this build in parts, the stock CPU cooler won't come attached to the mobo. You can just shelve that for later, because you won't even need to touch it for this.
REMEMBER to rest any uninstalled parts on anti-static mats or the anti-static bags they come wrapped in.

1. Unpack your tower and PSU

2. Install the PSU in the tower.

3. Take note of the rest of your components, and see which power cords from the PSU you're gonna be using and which ones you won't be. Put the unused cables out of the way ( behind the motherboard tray is always good). Then route the 24 pin mobo power (and the 4 or 8 pin mobo cable if applicable) through the case so that they'll be ready to be plugged into the mobo when you install it. It's always a good idea to start your cable management BEFORE you've started piling components in, makes it much easier.

4. Unpack the RAM, CPU, CPU cooler and Mobo, and install the ram, cpu and cooler while the mobo's still out of the tower. Apply the thermal paste before you put the cooler on the cpu (see end of post for thermal paste instructions)

5. Install the Mobo in the tower.

6. From here it's pretty easy. Install the hdd's and optical drive, and tidy the cables up as much as you can. remember to use zip ties or cable ties, and that your goal is to minimise the effect the cables will have on airflow through the case. In other words, keep the cables to the sides AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!

7. Lastly, install the GFX card. Shouldn't be any dramas there.

To apply the thermal paste just put a small dot about the size of a grain of rice on the middle of the CPU. When you're installing the CPU cooler wriggle it around a little before tightening it fully.

I do it pretty much like that except I will install the hd and dvd drives prior to putting in the mb so I have a bit more room.

I just finished building my first PC so hopefully what I learned will help you. And this is by no means a step by step guide. I'll be posting pics of my build in my thread here soon if you want to find it and have a look.

I started by prepping the case with the brass standoffs that the mother board sits on. Make sure you only put in the standoffs that your mobo holes line up with. Also pop out the cases stock I/O port panel and putting in the one that comes with your mobo.

I found it much easier to install the CPU, thermal paste, heat sink and RAM on the mobo while it was out of the case. Read the install instructions on your heat sink for what it says about thermal paste. Mine told me to use twice the normal amount which is about a pea size.

Once I finished that I attached the mobo to the case. Popped in the PSU, HDD, and optical drive. Started running wires and finished up with graphics card and my wireless card last. Wiring was the hardest part for me. Read your mobo manual for where things plug into.

I really don't think think there is any science to putting it together. Everyone probably has their own method to their madness. End result is still the same. I was so nervous about my build and it wasn't bad at all. Just take your time and soak it all in. I kind of wish I was still doing mine because it was so much fun. Anyways good luck. Hope I help some.

I'm not sure about Intel chips, but my AMD came with thermal paste pre-applied on the chip. Make sure you clean that off with a lint-free cloth and some isopropyl alcohol if you plan to use the Artic Silver 5 (Which you should!). Then apply the Artic Silver 5 after you put the chip in the socket. Your Hyper 212 may or may not have thermal paste already on that too so I'd check to see if you need to clean that off as well. :big_smile:

What should be the time frame when building this PC? I don't wanna be too quick as that will probably mean I rushed it which will put me prone to errors. If I take too long that means I'm doing something wrong.

Anyways, what do you guys think about the parts and cost that I spend on this one? Is it a pretty good deal? I bought this all from Newegg using Tom's Hardware as reference.

What should be the time frame when building this PC? I don't wanna be too quick as that will probably mean I rushed it which will put me prone to errors. If I take too long that means I'm doing something wrong.

Anyways, what do you guys think about the parts and cost that I spend on this one? Is it a pretty good deal? I bought this all from Newegg using Tom's Hardware as reference.

I don't think you should have a set time in your head. There is no pressure. I would say take as much time as needed. Double-check and triple-check things. The first time I built a PC it took an hour or so at least. Everything worked perfectly. I made sure not to rush, and made sure everything was seated well and properly.

well don't rush because there is no time limit, it's done whenever it's done, that simple.

overall your part choices look good.

you could've gotten this ram set instead though
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
it would've came out to be a little cheaper than buying 3 of those corsair sticks separately, and it also runs faster with tighter timings, and has a nice rebate.

maybe you shouldn't have gotten 2 cards from the get go because now if you want to upgrade to something that's noticeably better, you're going to have to sell both those cards at a loss.
IMO you should've gotten something like a single 5770 for now, and added another one of those later on.

I'm not sure about Intel chips, but my AMD came with thermal paste pre-applied on the chip. Make sure you clean that off with a lint-free cloth and some isopropyl alcohol if you plan to use the Artic Silver 5 (Which you should!). Then apply the Artic Silver 5 after you put the chip in the socket. Your Hyper 212 may or may not have thermal paste already on that too so I'd check to see if you need to clean that off as well. :big_smile:

AS5 is obsolete. I honestly don't see why everyone thinks that stuff is so good still.

Get mx-2 instead, non-adhesive, non-conductive, and doesn't have a ridiculous curing time like AS5.
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom