Starting Slow.. Picked a Processor.. Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryP

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, My name is Cory and I am a new member here but have been reading posts on here for a few weeks, everyone here is very informant.
I have had an urge to build a new pc for myself, I have been a mac user for about 7 years, and just want to get back on windows and try the new OS and maybe start playing some games. I have been researching about brands and new technology for a little bit now, I have been out of the PC world for a long time and I just need to learn more before I start a build. But one processor that I like is the AMD Phenom X3 720, I am on a budget, and I have read some reviews that this is a fast processor, either at the tri core or quad core (if I get lucky and get a chip that I can unlock the fourth core). I am anxious to start overclocking also, never tried it before but I will be researching more on that.
So anyway, if I go with that processor, I want to find a motherboard that would be best for it and also what memory I should get, I'm not sure if I should go ddr3 or ddr2, if I will be using this build for some gaming and also some small design work, mostly on illustrator but also photoshop, is it better to put more memory in it, I have noticed most computers are only getting 4g put in it now.
I have a ton of questions but I dont want to ramble to much right now, so any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated

Well first off you can make a small list of stuff that basically makes up a PC. Example below:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card/GPU
  • Power Supply/PSU
  • Hard Drives/HDDs
  • Optical Drives (like DVD burners/Blu-Ray, etc.)
  • Case
  • Monitor
  • Operating System/OS
Not in any specific order, that's just how I choose though. May I ask what's the budget? This way the forum members can help you out, and try to keep it within the budget.

Normally the CPU determines the range of boards and vice versa, after that you can check the requirements of the board to know what RAM it's suited for. After you can look around for a GPU if you're a gamer, and well everything else pretty comes after.

I dont have an exact budget planned out, I am planning on buying a couple parts at a time, I figured I would get the mobo and cpu first, then get the memory and gpu maybe(after I save up some paychecks) But I guess I want the mobo and cpu to be around or under $200

I would avoid waiting too long to pick up a motherboard that will match nicely with that CPU. Motherboards change more frequently than any other computer part, except maybe GPUs.

You can get any one of these 790GX chipset mobos that will work nicely:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Here's a nice board with the 790FX and also offers USB 3.0 and SATA 6G:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Any of those mixed with the right GPU, like an ATI HD 57xx or 58xx, and other nice components will make a good gaming machine. BTW those are all DDR3 motherboards, so memory will be a tad more expensive.

Its best to buy the parts all at one time in case some arrive dead. So if your cpu arrives dead, you won't know it until a month later when you purchase the rest of the parts, which may make it difficult to return... not sure how it works exactly but its best to buy it all at once.

Its best to buy the parts all at one time in case some arrive dead. So if your cpu arrives dead, you won't know it until a month later when you purchase the rest of the parts, which may make it difficult to return... not sure how it works exactly but its best to buy it all at once.

Very good point I wasnt thinking about that. Guess that might make me speed up my whole build process, My project that I am working on actually is building a computer built into a desk that I have. I kind of wanted to have all the parts to help me design my whole concept. I better get started on getting my desk ready.

Very good point I wasnt thinking about that. Guess that might make me speed up my whole build process, My project that I am working on actually is building a computer built into a desk that I have. I kind of wanted to have all the parts to help me design my whole concept. I better get started on getting my desk ready.

Just a tip, but don't make the same mistake I did awhile back and order a case that was too big for my desk ; (

Oh Im not putting a case in it
computerdesk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom