Standard P4 2.8ghz or Dual CPU 2.2ghz For gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekBubs

In Runtime
STOP!!!!!!!!!! I know these 2 CPUs are "terribad" for gaming but right now I have no choice.

I tried playing WoW on my Pentium Dual CPU e2200 w/ my ATI Radeon 3450, the intro for stormwind was running smoothly however every 3 or 4 seconds it looked like it was "hiccuping??" freezing for about 1 millisecond, I'm sure you know what i'm talking about

However on my old computer, the one with the ATI Radeon x300 128MB (LOL) and the P4 2.8ghz didnt run the game smoothly but I didnt really notice any hiccuping with it. Its kind of frustrating because I still live at home (I'm 16) so I don't have any money and I had to rely on my parents to buy me a computer for christmas, and because of school, I'm not going to be getting a job until the Summer (Forget newegg theyre not huge believers in online shopping, my mom is coming around though)

Anyways my new tower with the Dual CPU is a dell inspiron 518 (And it does NOT allow me to OC my CPU, this is going to be my last Dell) and my old one which is now the family computer is a Dell Dimension 4800 (Sigh)

Just a note: I dont play WoW, I was trying a private server, the majority of games I play are FPS and strategy/RTS, it works great with CS:S btw.

My current PC build is:

3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon 3450 256MB DDR2
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.2ghz
Windows vista 32 bit home premium

I really don't see why my 3450 would be bottle necking, I thought the dual cpu would be a BIT faster than the P4...

This destroys my plans of upgrading to an ATI Radeon 4870...Unless of course it wont overclock, will it? (Not a x2, just a 4870, or a 9500/9800GT)

the 3450 is a horrible card for gaming, get rid of that and replace it with something better.

the pentium dualcore is accutaually a pretty good CPU. the pentium dual core blows away a P4 even at 4GHZ

I know, im saving up for a new card (Im looking at a Zotac 9500GT, for $88, like i said my parents arent believers in online shopping)

But I thought the CPU was the biggest problem, I guess not, ty for the reply.

But hmm, what would cause that hiccuping? Memory usage? vista? RAM?

Im guessing its vista

Its probably both vista and the vid card.

Can't really be the cpu,I ran my e2200 at stock for a good while with my zotac 9800gt and i could pretty much play every game out there on high settings except for crysis and the likes.

I had the same problem with my parents a couple years back. Just show them how newegg uses paypal, and how paypal is very secure and is basically used for everything on the internet. You can find some crazy good deals on newegg.

Im working on it tresh lol

As for my HDD, thats a possibility, I just installed BF 1942 + All the expansions, BF2, and the orange box (It has 5 games)

Ill run one tonight

My parents LOOOOOL!!!!

Dude I got my own freaking money and bought my own parts. Seriously, they thought I got jacked at first. But ever since then, they now hate me every time I get a package in the mail. Because they don't approve of how much I spend on computer hardware. My mom thought a $250 Dell laptop was a good deal, I told her "you get what you pay for" and walked away.

Its probably both vista and the vid card.

Why would it be vista??? Appart from having the auto-defrag on...

If there is stuttering going its more likely a driver issue, something software related. If the framerate is fine appart from the stuttering, then its unlikely that the videocard is the issue. I mean its not great, but it should be able to play WOW fine. Its fine to upgrade it you want, but its sounds like there is another issue going on.

Try reinstalling all your drivers, including audio drivers. And clean with Driver Cleaner Pro before you reinstall (try and get an older version that was freeware - its shareware now).

Are you getting stuttering problems in any other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom