SSD's in R0 running faster in Sata II then Sata III?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Yesterday I found out (after I ordered my 2nd SSD) that my Rampage III Formula board does not support Raid in Sata III. Only in Sata II. I went to ask on another forum about this and the guy that responded directed me to a post of his where he show's faster speeds in R0 with Sata II over Sata III.

Here is that post

So if that is true and given my situation I'm curious...

Will my SSD's be faster if I run them individually in Sata III or would they be faster in Raid 0 in the Sata II? If the speed isn't faster in R0 in the Sata II over running each one in Sata III then I would just keep them seperate and won't worry about resinstalling windows, etc just to raid.

Yesterday I found out (after I ordered my 2nd SSD) that my Rampage III Formula board does not support Raid in Sata III. Only in Sata II. I went to ask on another forum about this and the guy that responded directed me to a post of his where he show's faster speeds in R0 with Sata II over Sata III.

Here is that post

So if that is true and given my situation I'm curious...

Will my SSD's be faster if I run them individually in Sata III or would they be faster in Raid 0 in the Sata II? If the speed isn't faster in R0 in the Sata II over running each one in Sata III then I would just keep them seperate and won't worry about resinstalling windows, etc just to raid.

The Marvel SATA 3 controllers used on those boards aren't the best and are barely faster than the built in ICH10R SATA 2 controller so the RAID setup would be faster.

How can I test read/write speeds? Guess I will try to raid them in native support then and see how much faster it is then just one SSD in Sata III.

How can I test read/write speeds? Guess I will try to raid them in native support then and see how much faster it is then just one SSD in Sata III.

Any of the hard drive benchmarks should be enough to tell, ATTO Disk Benchmark and AS SSD are two popular ones.

Most of the benefit you will see from RAID 0 would be in sequential transfer speeds which are already really good on SSDs so even if you see a difference in the benchmarks you might not be able to notice it using the system. If running two individual drives would work better for you I wouldn't worry about the potentially lower performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom