SSD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Well with the windows RC expiring march first, figured I'd look into getting a SSD for the new install. Pretty much just going for an small OS drive, 30-40gb is all I need really, since I don't plan on installing too many games.

Found a couple:

Intel, slower write times, but I just want reads :devil:
NCIX.com - Buy Intel X25-V 40GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive Retail Box - SSDSA2MP040G2R5SINGLE In Canada.

Vertex:
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 30GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX30G In Canada.

Indilinx :
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Solid 2 Series Indilinx 30GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-2SLD30G In Canada.

Started looking around at some benches and the intel seems fastest, and it has TRIM. Though idk if the performance difference is worth the extra $30?

Prefer NCIX for single items cause its wayy faster shipping for me, plus price match.

Intel drives are faster. Their controller does a better job than the Indilinx drives (Vertex are Indilinx based.) Also, with the 1.4 firmware for Indilinx drives you will have TRIM support.

I would go with the Intel. The speed will be faster and you have a little more room. You'd be surprised how fast the limited space of SSDs fills up. Next on my list would be the Vertex. I currently have both (80 and 60 GB repectively) and I can say from my experience that the Intel is much better.

The intel 40Gb drives have only 35Mb/s write speed so the other 32Gb drives will be much better, think about it - thats like writing to an exteranl harddrive speeds.

The intel 40Gb drives have only 35Mb/s write speed so the other 32Gb drives will be much better, think about it - thats like writing to an exteranl harddrive speeds.

That's sequential write speeds. random read and write speeds are more important and that's where the Intel drives dominate.

The kingston drive in purple on these charts is a re-branded X25-V
randomwrite.png

randomread.png

Ok, are you 100% sure that it is the best drive out of them? Because like the OP I am going to get an SSD and the intel one is larger and significantly cheaper in New Zealand (NZ$200 / ~US$130).

I would definitely get the Intel X25-V over a 30gb Vertex or Agility. However I personally would take a 60gb Vertex or Agility over the 40gb Intel if the prices were close, otherwise the Intel would still be my pick.

If the X25-V is the cheaper and larger option then IMO it's a win-win.

Picture!

33uu2y8.jpg

Just put it on in the brace so far, gonna install windows 7 on it as soon as I finish some home work.

EDIT: Ok everything's working great now :D. Quick question though, is there a way to force installs on my other hdds? Like I don't want setpoint, msn, and stuff like that on my SSD, but they don't give me the option to choose where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom