Which SSD would your recommend: OCZ Agility 2 60GB or Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Which SSD would your recommend: OCZ Agility 2 60GB or Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB?

I accidently purchased one of each of these SSD's:

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I would like to use one of these for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Can anyone here recommend which one of these units would work best?

Thank you,

Alice

Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: Which SSD would your recommend: OCZ Agility 2 60GB or Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB?

What motherboard will you be running this on?

If it has a SATA III controller on-board, take the Crucial hands down. SATA III boosts SSD performance a great amount.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Which SSD would your recommend: OCZ Agility 2 60GB or Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB?

Baez,

Thank you for your reply. I have a GA P67A-UD3 B-3. I am not sure about SATA III controller on-board [are you referring to a Marvel controller]? The manual does say this board has two SATA 6GB connectors for the storage interface. They are labeled SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 on the board itself and accept 6GB/s devices . Are you saying I should definitely go with the Crucial RealSSD C300?

Alice
Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

I believe a Vertex 2 would have been a better choice =/

IMO I would keep the Agility 2. The 75MB write speed will bog you down in terms of raw performance compared to the 275MB on the Sandforce based Agility. Not to mention 15k IOPS on the write. I believe the Agility is 40k both ways and the Vertex 2 is 50k.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Triforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceN1derland View Post
Baez,

Thank you for your reply. I have a GA P67A-UD3 B-3. I am not sure about SATA III controller on-board [are you referring to a Marvel controller]? The manual does say this board has two SATA 6GB connectors for the storage interface. They are labeled SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 on the board itself and accept 6GB/s devices . Are you saying I should definitely go with the Crucial RealSSD C300?

Alice
Yes the Marvel controller on new motherboards is the SATA III controller until chipsets have the support built in.

Read is faster on the Crucial by a fair amount. Write is about equal to the Agility. The Vertex is faster by a slight margin. With Crucial's new firmware release, the RealSSD is your best choice.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I believe a Vertex 2 would have been a better choice =/

IMO I would keep the Agility 2. The 75MB write speed will bog you down in terms of raw performance compared to the 275MB on the Sandforce based Agility. Not to mention 15k IOPS on the write. I believe the Agility is 40k both ways and the Vertex 2 is 50k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
Yes the Marvel controller on new motherboards is the SATA III controller until chipsets have the support built in.

Read is faster on the Crucial by a fair amount. Write is about equal to the Agility. The Vertex is faster by a slight margin. With Crucial's new firmware release, the RealSSD is your best choice.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post

The write on the Agility is up to 200MB/s faster......:wat:

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Triforcer

What's your source?

The SSD Diaries: Crucial's RealSSD C300 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

He has the 64GB drive which has a sequential write of 75MB. It is in the specs on Newegg as well which is why I avoided the smaller Crucial SATA3 drives. Idk about anyone else but my SSDs are like my cars. You can go fast but you better be able to stop. If you're gonna read fast you better write just as fast too.

If you look on Newegg the 128GB and 256GB have much faster writes making the Agility the opportune drive to stick with in the 64GB range.

Also, if you look back one page you will see his more likely performance because you do alot more 4k read/writes than you do bigger. The Crucial 128 is actually one of the slowest making the 64GB version even slower in writes. Hence the reason why I said the Vertex is so much better because of the 50,000 4k IOPS.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread