Which SSD should I get

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am looking to invest in a good SSD for my machine. This will be my first SSD so forgive the noob questions. If this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. This seemed like the best place to put this.

Now I know I should get one that uses the Sandforce controller so would that rule Intel drives out? How do I know if it does or not? Any reason to wait for the new generation of drives? I have heard they are supposed to be released in January. Can anybody confirm a release date? I am really itching to buy something, don't know if I could wait.

I am looking at 120gb versions just to make sure I have plenty of space. I have heard many good things about the Intel x-25m drives but the advertised speeds seem slower than others.

I would like to spend under $200 but that may not be possible with a 120gb drive and without sacrificing performance.

Here are a few I picked out.
Corsair Force 120gb

OCZ Vertex 2 120gb

OCZ Vertex 2 100gb

What is the difference between the two OCZ drives? Why is the 100gb drive more expensive? Which is the better choice of the three? Any better suggestions? Out of the three, I don't need to buy anything else like the 3.5'' adapter, do I?

I also read something about different architectures, MLC and I can't remember the other one. Does it make a difference which one I get?

G Skills have caught my eye as well.

Do you have to do anything special to SSD drives before you can start using them? Can I just install the drive in the case, hook it up and start installing Windows 7 on it?

On a side note, is there something wrong with the search function? I have tried to search for ssd and nothing comes up.

The 100GB is 2.5" (size of laptop drive) as opposed to the 120GB being 3.5" (regular sized drive). Both have same performance read and writes as well as IOPS though.

Setting up an SSD takes a bit more time within Windows but installing Windows is basically the same. Check this guide out to get you on your way.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/#post1859296

The 2.5" 100GB is the better performing drive out of the bunch.

I am now looking at the OCZ Vertex 2 120gb. I may get two of these, one for me and one for Dad. Does this come with everything I need or do I have to buy anything else? It does not say on the newegg page anywhere.

The Vertex drive linked comes with a 2.5" bracket and the screws. It doesn't come with any cables so, if you don't have them, you'll need a SATA Data cable and a SATA power adapter if you don't have any not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom