Is an SSD needed for gaming? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Is an SSD needed for gaming?

well im building my computer for the first time, seen some peoples builds with it and some without it, my question is do i need an SSD or ca i choose to cut it out for a budget cut, if so whats the impact going to be without it?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Is an SSD needed for gaming?

SSDs are a luxury item... its something that you get if youve already maxed out all the other components and still have a little playing money. i dont have a SSD, trying to get my hands on one, but they are very expensive and its hard for me to justify the cost for them. some people swear by them and wouldnt do a build without one.

im trying to get my hands on a 228gig+ SSD, those start at about $250 (used ). im just trying to get such a big SSD because i want to do away with my HDDs completely. a more reasonable approach is to get whats called a boot SSD. which is basically a small SSD, usually around 60gigs, that you put the OS on and maybe a game or 2, then everything else goes on a larger HDD.

All a SSD does is makes things go faster. they dont have any moving parts, so the drive can find the information its looking for a lot faster because it doesnt have to wait for the actual disk to spin up and the finger to find the information. so your operating system is going to open a lot faster, applications are going to open faster and levels in games will load a lot faster.

so if you have any patience, a SSD is not needed... otherwise, go for it!

16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Is an SSD needed for gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
SSDs are a luxury item... its something that you get if youve already maxed out all the other components and still have a little playing money. i dont have a SSD, trying to get my hands on one, but they are very expensive and its hard for me to justify the cost for them. some people swear by them and wouldnt do a build without one.

im trying to get my hands on a 228gig+ SSD, those start at about $250 (used ). im just trying to get such a big SSD because i want to do away with my HDDs completely. a more reasonable approach is to get whats called a boot SSD. which is basically a small SSD, usually around 60gigs, that you put the OS on and maybe a game or 2, then everything else goes on a larger HDD.

All a SSD does is makes things go faster. they dont have any moving parts, so the drive can find the information its looking for a lot faster because it doesnt have to wait for the actual disk to spin up and the finger to find the information. so your operating system is going to open a lot faster, applications are going to open faster and levels in games will load a lot faster.

so if you have any patience, a SSD is not needed... otherwise, go for it!
I have one picked out for my build, its nowhere near as big or expensive as the one you have in mind, but i guess ill go ahead and keep it, when the time comes to put it all together ill be able to tell where it goes right?
Closed Thread