SSD, I Want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3ntury

Solid State Member
Hello's,

I'm considering an ssd and wondering what you think would be a good purchase. I have read highly regarded views on the Intel X25-M G2's, but other than one being Retail and the other OEM, is there a difference between these two?

Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

Intel ssd's are always being recommended along with OCZ Vertex/Agility Series and I saw these as well:

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

I'm not too concerned with rebates and what-not, just on the performance of the drives. If you have any better recommendations within these price ranges I'd love to hear them :)

With the Intel SSD's the Retail SSD comes with an adapter bracket.
The OEM SSD probably does not.

Those SSD's are all very good.
Pick whichever one fits your needs and budget best.
They all perform exceptionally.
The Vertex Turbo being the fastest, followed by the Intel SSD's probably, then the Agility.
Either way, they are all light years faster than old HDD setups.

Thank you for the insight. Do the OCZ's have any benefit over the Intel's or vice versa? Does added speed of the OCZ Turbo necessitate a downgrade in another area? I take it they all have about the same/similar features, but from what I have read the Intel controllers are much better than OCZ?

Thanks again!

The X25-M G2 is the best SSD around short of the rare and expensive Vertex LE. You are correct the Intel controllers are better than the Indilinx ones used buy the Vertex and Agility although those are still very good.

I would definitely go withe the Intel over the Vertex Turbo.

Yea, I would get the Intel over OCZ. Intel controllers are still better and your random write speeds are still faster than the Indilinx drives.

Make sure your motherboard and OS will give you the availability to run the drive in TRIM. You will need AHCI on your motherboard and Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom