SSD Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default SSD Help

OK, so Im on the fence about getting a new SSD. Im currently looking at either the OCZ Vertex2 100/120gb or the Corsair F100. However, although Ive read and re-read many articles and forum threads, I still need some help understanding a couple things.

First is understanding RAID with TRIM support. Do any of the new Sandforce drives allow TRIM support while running a RAID0 set? Is this a limiting factor of technology or will you be able to have both at some point in the future? This might not be such a issue as Im pretty sure I'll be going with one of the above drives. I was concerned with RAID cause I thought I might save some $ by getting two smaller drives and RAIDing them for capacity. But now I'm reasonably sure 100 to 120gb will be fine as long as I move games to a seperate drive.

Second, since the capacity of SSD's is relatively low (100 to 120gb is my budget), I will need to install some programs and games (specifically STEAM) on another physical hardrive. My concern is updates and patches on programs like MS Office, and games under STEAM. Is it problematic to install programs on another drive?

Third, if installing programs to a separate drive, will I see a performance increase if using a WD 150gb Raptor or a couple Seagate 360gb in RAID0?

Thanks all for your help and input

Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: SSD Help

Quote:
Second, since the capacity of SSD's is relatively low (100 to 120gb is my budget), I will need to install some programs and games (specifically STEAM) on another physical hardrive. My concern is updates and patches on programs like MS Office, and games under STEAM. Is it problematic to install programs on another drive?
Nope, that works fine. I have Steam on my storage drive, works just the same as if it were on any other drive I have MS Office on my C: drive, though I do think that you can't fully install it to a different drive, it still puts stuff on your C: (about 1GB).

Quote:
Third, if installing programs to a separate drive, will I see a performance increase if using a WD 150gb Raptor or a couple Seagate 360gb in RAID0?
Yes, you'll see a performance increase by using a performance drive, or RAID0 them. That's the point :P
(I dunno about TRIM, I'll leave that to someone else)

Just a note - my setup is an 80GB drive, split into two 40GB partitions, each with their own OS on. Each of those partitions, assuming I remember always to install to my storage drive (640GB), rarely goes above 25GB used - I moved the My Documents/Music/Pictures/Video folders onto my storage drive too.
It's a lot easier to keep the OS drive clean than you'd think. I would recommend that, instead of going for a 100GB+ SSD, go for a faster 60GB one, preferably an Intel X-25M. It will cost about the same but performance is awesome.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: SSD Help

I don't know about any of the newer drives but Raid and TRIM don't work together as far as I know (but I would expect support to be coming if it isn't already).

I really don't see the point in a Raid0 array with SSD's. Windows loads in about 15 seconds so a Raid0 might load in 8-10 seconds, I'd rather keep the extra cash.