SSD / HDD & raiding...help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok going raid 0 with 1TB HDDs is a bad idea? So would be better with 500GBs ? I really wanna lean more towards a fast performance option thanks for help guys :)

If you have the budget, I would stick with a SSD/HDD combo, as it is the safest and fastest. If you really want RAID 0, 500gb would be better than 1tb drives...but note that if one of those drives fail for whatever reason, that's 1tb of data that is lost. Perhaps you'd consider raid 10 or raid 5?

Raid 5 would be best with 500GB drives if he can afford it, he would get performance, AND redundancy in the end. The reason it is bad for 1TB drives in RAID 0 is because while you get 2TB of storage, you have a very high chance of loosing tremendous amounts of data.

So raid 0 really has a high chance of a HDD breaking down? Lol I wouldnt know personally but ive heard from different ppl they been using it for awhile and all is fine or are you saying that just the possibility of losing 2TB worth of files is bad itself?

The possibility of loosing 2TB of data is bad. 1TB drives have a higher chance to fail it seems compared to smaller drives. And when in RAID 0, well, you are kind of playing with fire.

I have never had a drive fail on me...but if my drive were to fail, I would not want to lose 500gb let alone 2tb of files. You could always buy a huge external drive and periodically back up all your files like I do. Who really need 2tb of storage anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom