SSD config question s

TheDrunk

In Runtime
I am thinking of running a SSD, yet I am wondering about R/W amount, I am a heavy PC user, and when SSD first came out there was bottle neck issues dealing with the amount of read and write times the storage device could handle. Since then I have many builds using SSD, but sadly none for my self, I am looking at a 500 for my OS and drivers,
My questions are the following.
Can you configure the OS in order to have storage on a mechanical drive versus the SSD,
I am aware of the basics, the movies, downloads, music, documents
My question is is there any hidden storage that can be diverted to a mechanical drive versus the SSD that will not hinder performance?

Can you configure the OS to recognize the mechanical drive for virtual memory, or are the SSD drives today capible of supporting virtual memory

Any tips and advice, or tutorials about SSD you have would be appreciated.
Thanks
The Drunk

and when SSD first came out there was bottle neck issues dealing with the amount of read and write times the storage device could handle.
This was a pretty big myth that nay-sayers kept repeating time after time simply because they were expensive and they couldn't afford one. I've had SSDs since 2008 and the only real issue that I've seen with any particular one is with the OCZ Vertex 2 where the controller itself went belly up. This had nothing to do with flash cycles, TRIM, or anything else besides heat. These days if you're running Windows 10 there is no post setup you need to do for an SSD. Just install and go. Write cycles have improved greatly since then too. Some models can write petabytes before being effected.

Can you configure the OS in order to have storage on a mechanical drive versus the SSD
You tell the programs to install on the other drive instead, same with Steam/Origin libraries.

Can you configure the OS to recognize the mechanical drive for virtual memory, or are the SSD drives today capible of supporting virtual memory
Pagefile can be moved if you require more space on your SSD. I wouldn't move it unless you have more than 16GB of RAM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom