SSD + 2 1 TB 7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordylll

In Runtime
Ok questions I am wanting to use an SSD (small 40 gig or so) as my OS drive and 2 1TB as storage

1. Obviously windows will install on the SSD, but do I install all drivers ect as well on the SSD?

2. Is it possible to have your files for a program, like in a game you have save files, character descriptions ect, on one drive while have the executable on the SSD? Not sure if I am asking this right I know in my mind how it sounds lol

3. What raid config would I use the 2 x 1TB? Also if my mobo has a raid controller onboard I dont need anything else correct?

Apologies if these are dumb questions but RAID has never been my strong suite

1. I do not think drivers can be installed anywhere other than where windows is.

2. Just varies with each program. For example, you can have like your music on one drive and itunes on the SSD.

3. raid config would depend on what you are using it for. raid 0 sets up your drives to 2 TB space, while raid 1 sets it to 1 TB, but mirrored for backup.

Well since I am probably going to have to install most of the larger programs on hte 1TB (assuming windows takes 32gigs) I am guessing from your examples to run it as raid 0 for performance? Also since the the board has a raid controller its just plug into the SATA slots and setup in BIOS to run disk 2 and 3 in Raid 0?

Using Raid 1 is not for backup. Raid 1 duplicates everything from the first disk to the second. If you delete a file, it's deleted on both. If you get a virus on one, you will have it on the other. Raid1 protects from hardrive failures only. If one Hardrive fails, the data is still avaiable on the second and allows you to operate until you replace the faulty drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom