Special build - max no. of 3.5" drive bays for massive storage

Multicore

In Runtime
Special build system requirements:

1. Highly reliable
  2. Lowest power consumption (discrete GPU not needed)
  3. Win8.1 64-bit
  4. Max no. of 3.5" drive bays
  5. Will run headless 24X7 for years on end (with scheduled reboots)- will be remote controlled over the internet - both the system & NetApp

My implementation:

1. Use DeepFreeze/ShadowDefender on C drive, install NetApp on D. Use a UPS that easily provides backup for at least 7 hours. (ALREADY HAVE THIS)
  2. Use Core i5 4310U/4360U (15 W TDP) if it's possible at all, otherwise use Core i5 4570T/4570TE/4460T (35 W TDP) [ Core i5 for a bit of future-proofing]
  3. Win 8.1 - latest OS - updates till 2023, also widest software support.
  4. Use a combination of such a case(max. drive bays) +PSU(max. SATA power connectors) +mobo(max. SATA data ports) so as to accommodate max no. of 3.5" HDDs.
  5. Use a remote-control software such as Splashtop/Teamviewer to control the system (if required) & there is an option for remote-control in the NetApp.

My questions:

1. Is there anything more that I could do for reliability ?
  2. Could a system be built using Core i5 4310U/4360U (15 W TDP), if not, how do the OEMs do it ?:confused:
  3. Is Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials a better option ?
  4. What are my options regarding case+PSU+mobo ?
  5. Any suggestions regarding remote control software ?
  6. Is it a good option to use external HDDs (via USB) to further increase storage space.
  7. Does Intel Turbo Boost also help in lowering power consumption ? here's what i mean - Will a dearer Core i5-4460T running nearer to its base frequency of 1.9 GHz consume less power than a cheaper Core i3-4330T running at its fixed frequency of 3.0 GHz (both are 35 W TDP CPUs) ?

Any suggestions in general ?

note:
the Intel page for Core i5-4460T is not available - maybe this CPU is for bulk purchases only.

What exactly is this going to be used for?

As far as Server OS vs desktop OS... depends on what you're going to be using it for. Usually you could probably get away with just using a desktop OS.

For remote desktop software, you could always just use the built-in Remote Desktop utility. That's how I do it with my server at home. Unless you need multiple people to be able to log in simultaneously... because RD only allows 1 login at a time.

Instead of external HDD's, you could get a PCI/PCIe SATA card to add more SATA ports for additional HDD's.

Wow, that's a quick reply !!!

This will be used for network file storage as in Computer based NAS.
I am not sure if it could be built - the prime issue/goal is getting massive storage in a single stand alone system.

1: Use a Platinum rated PSU like the AXi 760w.
2: Those chips (first two) are dual core and BGA meaning soldered to the board. The following chips are also dual core but 1150 package and generally those are reserved for OEMs. For the money the i3 is also a 35w chip with HT so you get 2 cores and 4 threads still and available on Newegg. The other i5s you would probably need to check Ebay then find a board that supports them.
3:Depends on exactly what you want to use this for. My initial answer will be probably not.
4:Full tower case, PSU outlined previously, any mATX or ATX board with at least 2 PCI-E 16x slots for RAID card. The card is to give you the max amount of ports and compatibility that you want without being limited to the motherbaord and 3rd party controllers.
5:Team Viewer or Windows RDT.
6:I was going to suggest this which highly depends on the application. If you are doing heavy HDD loads for whatever then internal would be best. Otherwise you could have endless amounts of storage using something like these.
Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 RAID 0 / 1 / 3 / 5 / 10 4 3.5" Drive Bays USB 3.0 & eSATA PRORAID Box 4 Bay Raid Enclosure with USB 3.0 & eSATA - Newegg.com

There are also 5.25" Drive bay modules you can use as well. So you could get a full tower and load it up with HDDs, then add basically HDD extensions.

7: TDP isn't amount of wattage used while under load. The i3 more than likely will consume slightly more power while the low wattage i5 is tailored for low wattage applications. The i3 will be faster though. Here again it highly depends on what exactly you aim to use this build for.

Edit: Answered questions in previous post. IMO just get yourself a NAS. For the amount of money you're looking at dropping here you could get a 5-8bay NAS which in itself will consume way less power than a standard PC and be tailored for exactly what you want software wise.

I really considered NAS first, but the NetApp running 24X7 is only supported by Windows. I can't install Windows on a NAS or can I ?

any suggestion about case. if i am right a case has max 6 bays, but can all those bays be used to mount 3.5" HDDs (each HDD would be 4 TB or if i could get one easily, 6 TB)

also any recent HDD issues, such as the firmware bugs back in 2011.

for Rosewill THRONE - what are external bays - the ones that are front-open intended for mounting DVD writers ?
5.25" bays can be used to mount 3.5" HDDs - searching how to do this.
for AMS DS - if i am right i will have connect it to the computer via USB (after loading it with atleast one HDD) & how to provide power ?

Last edited:
1: Don't get confused by their nomenclature. It has 3 5.25" bays and 10 3.5" HDD bays.
2: See #3.
3: That goes in the 5.25" bays. You put HDDs in it and they connect to SATA ports. It takes 2 SATA or 3 4 pin molex connectors (one or the other) to power all 4 drives and 4 individual SATA ports one for each drive. Look at the pictures for a better idea of how it works.

In all honesty, if you are going for mass storage, and need reliability, you should look into the mid-range to higher end SAS controllers. A typical SAS controller in the mid-range supports upto 250 (Some go upwards of 1024 disk drives) HDD's upto 4TB each now in days. Would be REALLY wise if you get a SAS controller with a few external ports, that way you can daisy-chain to other disk clusters over time if needed. You should also, honestly, look at rack-mount cases. Things like what you are wanting to do isn't cheap, my little file server sitting here has costed me a good $8000 in parts, mostly the SAS controller.

Last edited:
1: Don't get confused by their nomenclature. It has 3 5.25" bays and 10 3.5" HDD bays.
3: That goes in the 5.25" bays. You put HDDs in it and they connect to SATA ports. It takes 2 SATA or 3 4 pin molex connectors (one or the other) to power all 4 drives and 4 individual SATA ports one for each drive. Look at the pictures for a better idea of how it works.
1. So I can mount 15 HDDs (10 in 3.5" HDD bays + 5 in AMS DS that takes the space of 3 5.25" bays) without any issues of two HDDs being too close to have heat issues ?

you should look into the mid-range to higher end SAS controllers. A typical SAS controller in the mid-range supports upto 250 (Some go upwards of 1024 disk drives) HDD's upto 4TB each now in days.
You should also, honestly, look at rack-mount cases.
Could you provide some links/examples - i mean pictures+text for further reading.
SAS controllers - only heard about these, would lack of experience be an issue ?

Are you referring to 19-inch rack - would it be a good choice to run it in the living room/bed room.

SAS controllers & rack-mount cases - learning about new stuff is one reason i joined this forum (didn't knew these are also good options) - thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom