Sound cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
I NEED a new sound card. Was hoping everyone here could help me out.

I was looking at just getting an Audigy 2 ZS, but I can't find one anywhere. So I've gotten a little bit interested in X-Fi's. However, I've heard a lot of bad things about X-Fi's so I figured that everything was just hyped up.

What sound card would everyone recommend? Is the X-Fi good, or just hype? I like good sound quality, so I want something that'll suite me just right.

It Depends on what your going to use it for and your needs. The X-Fi's are for the most part hyped and overpriced. What makes them so good is the EAX 4.0 support they have that takes the stress of your computer allowing better FPS in games usually.

If you want a good card that sounds great but doesnt have as good EAX support you can find ones for cheaper. Whats your budget?

I would prefer not to spend more than $100, but if it's worth it, I might be able to swing it.

The Audigy 2 ZS is a good card but the X-Fi series is clearly better. Yes, they are a little more expensive but you can find the cheapest OEM at around $45 which is not a lot of money considering a soundcard lasts you around seven years (because 7-year-old soundcards are about as good as onboard sound these days).

From what I've read, and believe me I've read a bunch about these series, is that the X-Fi chip is the biggest leap forward by Creative in a long time. There are a good number of types of cards, each with their own specifications and software, suiting users to their needs.

I would fancy EAX HD support on my soundcard, I've been looking into buying one for a while. My friend rocks it and I must say, the X-Fi has it all. The latest and best surround chip, great software support that allows you to switch modes and change settings per application, versatility, and even its own RAM memory (on the higher-end models).

Pick the Xtreme Gamer if you're a gamer, pick the Xtreme Music if you're more of a desktop user I'd say. You won't regret it and the money is really not that much for a long term investment.

They are out of stock on the egg as you said, but the Audigy 2 ZS would be your best bet.

The next best one past that one would be this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829127002

It offers exceptional audio quality but I dont think it has much EAX type support. None the less I'm sure if you like the quality of sound this one would be amazing.

EDIT: In reply to the one above. The X-Fi are known to be the best for gaming but there are others such as the last one I stated that have been known to offer better sound quality in general.

What is the difference between the X-Fi XtremeGamer, XtremeMusic, XtremeGamer Fatality, and Platinum?

Firstly the features; what you can hook up to them. I can't just give a list of what one specifically has and the others don't, but you'd be right thinking that the XtremeMusic version allows for MIDI support, XtremePlatinum being an enthousiast version with a breakout box, XtremeGamer is pretty much the cheapest (other than Xtreme Audio, which seems to lack lots of features that the others have).

Forget about XtremeGamer Fatal1ty, just a stupid branded model. Very similar to XtremeGamer.

I belive that the X-Fi Xremegamer is just the standard gaming card, while the Fatality version is just a better version of that card. The XtremeMusic are good for about only music, when you apply them to gaming they may actually lower your frames.

The Platinum is their best card to date I belive and offers the best of both worlds.

Im not too sure, but Fatality version is for hardcore gamers, while I believe the platinum is still excellent performer it offers more features for audiophiles too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom