Sound card or O/B sound? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Sound card or O/B sound?

Since I am getting the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR, is it really worth it to get a X-Fi or Audigy 2Z card for sound? The mobo has 8 channel sound already.

I plan on using the Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speakers, so factor this in as well.

I know O/B audio can take up CPU time vs. a card, but since I plan on using a x2 440+, I didn't think it would be a real issue.

I am not an audiophile by any means, just planning on playing games and watching the occasional DVD with it.

If I don\'t step over the line every now and again, how will I know where it is?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yes it is important for games if you want EAX and hardware audio. And for DVDs they have hardware audio decoding etc... PC Mag rated the X-fi platinum the best value.

so, umm, err yeah
Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ropponmatsu

I've never had hardware but I've strongly felt about getting a card. Mainly because I would EAX and performance increase as well as I've had some problems with onboard audio, eg. speakers switching from 5.1 to 2.1 randomly.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to ZeroStrife49

I use the OB audio and havent had any probs with it(yet lol), but if you have the money, go for a sound card, itll do the job much better because its dedicated to its function rather than being part of a whole set of functions.
K . D . M
Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

hmm... I'm saying a sound card might be a waste of money. It does the job, and it's not even going to dent your CPU's performance... Seems like you'd be throwing money away.

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource:
Closed Thread