Sound Card/Graphics Card/Mobo Mumbo Jumbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaxys

Baseband Member
So, I am getting EVGA SLI x58 - which has
PCIe x16 (1)
PCIe x1 (2)
PCIex16 (3)
PCI (4)
PCIex16 (5)
PCI (6)

in thar order.

I want to hook up a quad SLI + sound card + TV Tuner card.
So the first 295 goes in the (1) slot, which in turn eats up the (2) slot.
The second one goes in the (3) slot, which in turn eats up the (4) slot
So the quad SLI si running at (x16,x16,x1) atm.

If I put in the sound card (low profile form factor) into the PCI slot (6), and the TV Tuner (low profile) into the PCIe x16 slot (5):

---
1) Will it work, does the PCIe x16 slot allow PCIe x1 based card to fit? [I believe so, the pin confirmation looks exactly the same - at the beginning anyway]
2) Will it become (x16, x8, x8) instead of a faster (x16,x16,x1) [regarding the graphics] and x1 is just fine for the TV-tuner, it is meant to run on a PCIe x1 slot, or will it stay the same, and register the PCIe x16 slot as PCIe x1?

Ty for your help.

with two cards it's not quad SLI, but just SLI considering there are only two gfx cards present

The only slots you will have available to you for use will be 5 and 6, 2 and 4 will be taken up by exhaust for the cards so you will have only one card slot available in reality because 5 is for a graphics card being x16 unless you have a pci-ex16 tuner.

it will work like that, both the cards should be running at x16

with two cards it's not quad SLI, but just SLI considering there are only two gfx cards present

The only slots you will have available to you for use will be 5 and 6, 2 and 4 will be taken up by exhaust for the cards so you will have only one card slot available in reality because 5 is for a graphics card being x16 unless you have a pci-ex16 tuner.

it will work like that, both the cards should be running at x16

Sorry, since GTX 295 has two cores, I thought it'd be considered quad sli.

I thought, according to philbad who responded above, it is possible to use a pcie x16 slot as a pcie x1 slot.

Nonetheless, the graphic cards would still ge going at x16? man my life got easier.
external seemed such a hassle lol.

Quad Sli is 4 GPU's (2 cards)

and with the SLI bridge included with your mobo you will have to put the GTX 295's in the first and last pci express x16 slots and put the tv card in the middle. and then put the sound card in the first PCI slot.

Ah crap my bad, i seriously need to read slower; i thought he said GTX 285 instead of 295, that would indeed be correct as quad SLI.

Quad Sli is 4 GPU's (2 cards)

and with the SLI bridge included with your mobo you will have to put the GTX 295's in the first and last pci express x16 slots and put the tv card in the middle. and then put the sound card in the first PCI slot.

Really? can I buy another SLI bridge that would accomodate them beside each other?
Or does it have to be set up that way?

[And also with both those cards + low profile tv tuner and sound card - it'll work right? space wise and heat wise?]

The dual SLI bridge should come with the motherboard. It always has in my previous builds and P6T with tri-SLI came with the tri bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom