Soooo.. time for a rebuild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
I've given it some thought, and have around $1,500 to spend on a motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, a case, a power supply, and a CD / DVD drive

I'm keeping the GTX 285 from the old build and want to go SLi with two GTX 285's an an i7

So far I've been looking at the following:
Second GTX 285
Newegg.com - XFX GX285XZWFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
ASUS P6T 1366 Socket X58 Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Antec 1000W PSU
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies
G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ - Desktop Memory
Core i7 920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Antec 900
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
CD / DVD Drive
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

Total comes out to about $1,553.18 with shipping and taxes.

If you see anything that can help me save money or if you think you can build it any better, by all means, go right ahead :) I don't know much about the i7 processors.

Hmm maybe sell you're current 285 and get 5970? Seems kinda pointless to buy another Nvidia card with Fermi around the corner.

Also maybe a core contact? Probably outperforms that artic cooling one.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

EDIT: New CM 690 advanced seems like a better buy then another 900 IMO.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

^ I can't find a better looking (or better for air flow) case than the Antec 900 that'll fit under my desk hutch, that's why I'm sticking with it. That one's like .75" too tall to fit :(

When dot he Fermi cards come out? And I was thinking since I already have this 285, why not get another and SLi it :tongue:

How much do you think I can get out of a used GTX285?

I'm keeping the 900 I have now and giving this new one to a friend (who's buying the old components). He's got almost the same desk :tongue:

Also, my current 285 is sort of messed up.. it's one of the one's that shipped with strange clocks, so I probably can't sell it for too awful much without them complaining :/

If you set your own, lower clocks, it works just fine, however.

Uuuugh... ditch the 900. I really hate that case now.. It's fine to start out with, but when you geta bit farther with this expensive hobby you out grow it FAST.

Look at a Cosmos 1000 or some of the CM cases..

even if you do go with sli'ed 285s, i think the 1kw is a bit much. you can see here; they tested with 2 ssc 285's and an i7 965 @ 3.2ghz and their test system used under 500w at load.

so one of these psus should work
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Thanks, that would save me quite a bit of money :tongue:

@Burn - That's what I'll probably do. I'll buy a card this summer and give this current one to my brother

@Antec-User
I have been looking at the Cosmos series cases... But one of my main concerns is that it would fit under my desk hutch.. but it seems I might have to ditch that and just stick it under my desk. I've really liked this case:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Cosmos Pure Black Aluminum / SGCC ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Or maybe this one...

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV01-BW Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom