Sony Vegas video editing under 700 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Sony Vegas video editing under 700

Hello, i'm looking to purchase a new desktop computer. I have never built my own computer. My budget is $700. I need to be able to edit 1080p gopro footage in sony vegas pro 12 as smoothly as possible. Video editing is only a hobby, however i do it fairly regularly. I know with this budget I will not be able to get much, but I am trying to find the best possible option. Editing will be fairly basic for the most part with a few multi layered areas, color correction, and Twixtor for extreme slow motion. I do not need to edit in full hd, i'm willing to turn down the resolution while editing. The main thing i need is to be able to scroll through footage and edit precisely without lag. Currently, in order to playback footage i must do a dynamic RAM preview, which takes a very long time and is very short with my 2gb of ram. I have an HD dynex television to use for a monitor. I greatly appreciate any help !

walkpdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Sony Vegas video editing under 700

This should do the job. If you really need it you can add a GPU later.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-16GNT

PSU:
Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

HDD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Case:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GZ-F3HEB Black SECC Steel / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$689

I figured if you already have a computer you can use the DVD drive out of it for this one.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thank you. Is this everything I will need ? Excuse my lack of knowledge
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yes it is everything you need. Buy, build, fire it up, install Windows, edit your heart away. The only thing I left out is the DVD drive because I'm assuming you have one with your current PC. If you do not you will need to buy one or put the Windows 7 ISO (rip the DVD you bought) on a flash drive which we can tell you how here. For that you will need a 4GB or larger flash drive though.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thank you very much. Again a dumb question but this is everything i need not only for editing but basic uses such as browsing the internet etc ? I just need keyboard, mouse, and speakers?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

If you don't already have those 3 things you will need to get them too. Again I assumed you had those with a current PC. You can reuse them if you do. This PC will do pretty much anything you want besides game at high settings. That will need a video card.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

With that motherboard it says it has dual VGA output. Input connectors on my Dynex monitor are HMDI and VGA. Do i need to purchase separate cables to connect to VGA?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

No. The motherboard has VGA and DVI output.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

This is my last question and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer even though they are probably basic questions to you. My dynex TV screen is 720p. I did some research and found that television screens can be of lesser quality than computer monitors. It has both HDMI and VGA inputs as i said before. But it is only 720p. Do you think this will be an issue? Would i be better off buying a monitor specifically for computer use? I will just be web browsing and video editing ( footage is mostly1080p, some 2.7k ). Thank you very much
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

720p means it has a resolution of 1280x720 which is pretty low, and if you are editing 1080p you will want a 1080p monitor. You can get a nice one for around 150 bucks most of the time. Also, 720p on TV for a computer is terrible because everything is huge, and you have such a small image stretched so it makes things fuzzy most of the time.

Access to my Plex PM me.