Sons 16th Birthday gaming PC gift - please look over and make suggestions?? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Sons 16th Birthday gaming PC gift - please look over and make suggestions??

OK - found a combo deal that may do the trick - and in budget. I know Radmax PSU may not be a Corsair- but to stay in budget and get the i5 I have to give someplace. Check it out

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

or maybe this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.755238 - It looks a bit better on the PSU - but no gaming keyboard or mouse.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Sons 16th Birthday gaming PC gift - please look over and make suggestions??

Lucky kid!

I don't see an OS listed in your opening post, or either of the combos. While no more than 4Gb is listed, I would still recommend 64-bit Windows 7, to ensure over 4Gb support should he decide to add more RAM in the future.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────
Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ya - that went without saying - will have to add that. Yes he will have to add Ram when he can afford it. MY Budget- according to the wife is $700. I can sneak the OS. HOw bad is the RaidMax PSU? is it worth the extra to get the Coolermaster PSU or isn't it any better.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think theyre both sketchy.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
I think theyre both sketchy.
Well, they are right there in black and white in our warranty information pamphlets and EULAs - which we agree to abide by when we decide to use the products.

Whether we agree with the policies or not is immaterial. I think the speed limit on Main Street should be 35MPH and not 25MPH, and they should put a Yield sign at the corner instead of a Stop sign too - because everybody speeds and no one comes to a complete stop anyway. And the vast majority of the time, the cops do nothing but turn a blind eye. But that does not make it right, and it does not mean the cops can't nap us if they have a mind to.

Same difference.

─────────────────────
Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

The RaidMax PSU is not to be trusted. Nor the CoolerMaster, actually. If you are looking at budget, get the Antec Earthwatts.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

I agree that Raidmax PSUs don't have a good reputation, but they do make some exceptions. I note that particular one has an efficiency rating up to 85% and that is excellent by any standards.

However, there are 2 red flags. A PSU, to be good, must have a decent "linear" efficiency rating across a wide range of loads and no where in the specs does it specify what load rating that 85% was achieved at. It may be 85% with a load of 100 watts but less than 70% at a more realistic 300W load. It takes a good design using quality parts for ANY PSU to be efficient across a wide range of loads.

The 2nd red flag is it does not have a 80-Plus certification. 80-Plus certification requires a linear efficiency rating so I always recommend looking for that when buying a PSU. The downside to 80-Plus is manufacturers have to pay Plug Load Solutions to have their supplies tested for certification. Some good supply makers don't think that is fair, and don't do it. This means there may be some good supplies that are overlooked. But in those cases, if the maker does not publish efficiency ratings across a wide range of loads, right or wrong, I take that as them hiding something (like an inferior product) - so I avoid it.

─────────────────────
Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie

unfortunately those were the answers I kind of figured on getting. That darn reality - "you get what you pay for" .
Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, pre-configured bundles has the same problems as pre-built computers - someone else configured them based on their criteria, not yours. So invariably, they have made compromises in places you wouldn't have. And the PSU is often a target.

That said, like many cases that come with PSUs tossed in the make the sale, often it is still worth buying with the intent of tossing out the PSU and putting in another. I have a small pile of such PSUs. Some are good ones too. For example, Antec cases often come with good PSUs, they are just underrated. But they make great PSUs for troubleshooting or for testing fans, drive motors, and the like.

So I often tell people when selecting a case, "don't remove the case from consideration because you don't like the PSU if the price of the case is still good." Same with bundles.

─────────────────────
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well, to that idea I do have an older dual core with an nvidia 8600GT that I put in this PSU into a year ago = Newegg.com - OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

I could buy the Raidmax Combo - then switch out the 2 PSU's - If the Raidmax destroys anything it will be on the old system anyhow. Do you think the modular 550 watt PSU can handle the i5 and still do Crossfired 5770's or a 6950 /560ti?

Closed Thread