Something that works...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk97

In Runtime
Ok, I have about $30-80. I need to make a comp that works that I'll turn into a file server when I get my uber computer.

Here's what I've got/can use:

Old ATE case (it fits stuff fine)
-6gb HD for OS
-120gb HD for files
-512mb ram
-I sorta can use a Radeon 9200, AGP 4x
-CD Burner
-Old Socket A mobo (it's crap, otherwise I'd be using it.)
-sA Duron @ 1.3 Ghz
-420watt psu (20 and 4 pin)
Here's what I can do...

Buy a cheap sA mobo (I'm limited to Fry's) looking at a PcChips or an ECS-
Fry's huge selection of sA mobo's. ( Looking to try to OC the Duron to at least 1.4 freakin' ghz so I can play Source in the mean time. Is that a plausable idea?

If I got the mobo Then I'd try to buy a working AGP card. Like a 9250...

However... if the Duron's not worth it...

I could buy this deal...
s754 deal

That'd be all my $$$ and I'd have to take the Radeon 9200 out of this comp which I probably can't do for long...

What's your opnions?

I'll probably be using it as my main comp for a month, maybe 2... then it becomes a file server/ Source server...
I'll be popping 2 SATA drives in it and a gigabit lan card and prob a gig, maybe 2 of ram.
Which is why I'm a little more keen to just go ahead and bit the bullet and buy the Sempron/ECS combo... I would like to know if any ECS mobos can OC... The proc's not bad, but I'd likely use my stock Opteron's HS (when I get it) and OC the sempy.

Suggestions? I'm on the verge of buying a sweet system, but the purchase date keeps getting farther and farther away... and I won't be able to use this computer for much longer.

SO should I buy a new sA mobo and cheap GFX card and use the Duron...
Or, Cover my bases by getting the better stuff now, provided it's more than my budget really allows..

Any other ideas would be awsome too... But I'm limited to Fry's and cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom