Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My Computer Specs: Sony PCV RS 430G

My Main Goal: Get My Video Card Working

Sequential Events Recap: [/FONT]
  1. [FONT=&quot]I wanted to make my computer faster for Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]I bought a 1gb ram and it worked. My computer now has 2gb of ram.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Along with that 1gb ram I bought a video card that requires 400watts of powersupply while my computer only has 300 watts. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]I'm now planning to get a powersupply that will work on my computer but SONY clearly stated that the powersupply is not designed to be user-replaceable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
My Options [/FONT]
  1. [FONT=&quot]Build a New Computer off my Old One[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Pros: Will get the video card to work for sure. Plus newer is better and will help me off in the long run.
    Cons: Going to be pricey for sure.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Find a power supply that will work.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Pros: The cheapest path.
    Cons: Finding the powersupply that will work/fit on my computer will be the hardest task. Sony already stated that the power supply is not designed to be upgraded or be replaced.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Return the video card and buy one that works under 300watts.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Pros:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Less Hassle than the rest. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Cons: I might not be able to get a good video card since most video cards require more than 300 watts. And plus I'll be paying money for a video card that I will sooner or later have to upgrade.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Modding the PSU
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Pros:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Sounds interesting and has less hassle
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cons:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I do not know anything about it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will be posting this concluding the fact that I've made the decision to choose Option A, which is building a new computer and using my old parts.

Before I go any further I'd like to state the things that I might run into that could cause potential problems:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My Computer runs PC 2700 Memory Sticks. Will newer motherboards support this memory? I pretty much spent over 100 dollars adding memory to my computer.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that is out of the way I know that I have the following (and look at My Computer Specs to add what I'm missing)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]CPU:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHZ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]RAM:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2 sticks of 256mb, 1 stick of 512 mb, 1 stick of 1gb. ALL DDR Pc2700 333[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]VIDEO CARD:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 7600 GS [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]d.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]DVD DRIVE:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ??[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]e.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]HARDDRIVE: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ATA 100 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]f.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]NETWORK CARD:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ??[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]g.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]SOUND CARD:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ??

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So based from what I know all I need to buy is a Motherboard a case and a power supply and I can add those things above and all is set?

My main concern is to keep the P4 HT processor and the pc2700 memory so I need a motherboard only for that.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cliff Notes:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What else would I need to build a new computer from what I have? (please include links to items, preferably of newegg.com, to what I need to build a fully-functioning PC)[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are other alternatives?[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What is your opinion or suggestion?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

This problem isn't that much complicated..how long did you take to type all of this? If you're getting a new computer, just get a completely new one, what you have is just old. But since you had just bought that memory stick, which isn't compatible with newer stuff, just get the XClio 450W off newegg, it's around 40 bucks. You really don't need that much of a strong PSU to power a 7600GS, if you don't mind, can you post what type and what brand of power supply you have right now, and how many amps it has on it's rails, especially the 12v

Brand is NMB.

The dimentions of my current power supply are as follows: Width: 6 1/2" Depth: 3 15/16 Height: 3 1/2"

i dont know abouts its amps and stuff, where do I find that out?

here are some pictures though to see which power supply works or not:

imga0686zu3.jpg

imga0687ce4.jpg

imga0688bn0.jpg

imga0689co0.jpg

Read out what the sticker on the power supply says..there should be a chart telling how many amps you have on your 12V.

Theres something called replying to the threads and not just making new ones after every single baby step you make it through..... This is also another reason why he covered the label so we wont see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom