Some upgrades and maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
Greetings.

I've been sporting an old build of mine for quite a while, (almost 3 years) and since the graphics card has flopped over and passed on, I decided to tune up a few other pieces.

Unfortunately, I've also neglected to touch up with the latest technology and could use recommendations for parts.
I've also become rather illiterate in hardware-speak. I'm hoping you can play along.

My budget is rather flexible, but I will not be needing "the best of the best for LN2 overclockers" kind of material. In fact, I would prefer "best bang for the buck" kind of deals.
My general aim is for moderate-high gaming and a little video rendering.

I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard, model GA-M55Plus-S3G and need the following parts compliant with it :
A mid-high end AMD CPU. Quadcore would be preferable, but I can't quite seem to recall if my mobo supported it.
A high range evga nvidia graphics. Will be running two 1680x1050 monitors and expect 30 FPS in high load situations. Nothing as strenuous as Far Cry or Crysis. Things like Fallout 3 and 25 man raids in WoW. But, I'm also using a modest 600w PSU and refuse to SLI.
2x1GB RAM, DDR2. Preferably by Crucial. (Can't recall the speed or voltage either. I believe supported types can be found at Gigabytes' website?)
And a 500GB+ SATA2 HD, preferably Seagate.

I must apologize if my needs are rather vague, but that is all the information I can supply for now.
My access to Newegg and Gigabyte is currently hampered, and I can't go shopping myself, for now.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I'd get more RAM than that (especially with the dual monitors and Fallout 3). Four seems suitable. What's the budget?

I checked out the gigabyte website, and your motherboard specs did not list any quad core processors, but it did list Athlon x2 cpu's. You may want to think about getting a new motherboard too. If your not looking for top of the line then you could get one for relatively cheap.

note: I'm still rather new at the whole hardware thing myself, but trying to help people will be a good way for me to learn things, so this is just my 2 cents. :)

ahh see, this is why i am here... because i don't know as much as i think i know, and i like to double check. sorry for any confusion :silent:

I am somewhat confused now, it is listed as an am2 socket mobo. Now i know the am2/am2+/am3 cpu's/sockets are somewhat backwards compatable, but is there any sort of a loss in performance?

I'd get more RAM than that (especially with the dual monitors and Fallout 3). Four seems suitable. What's the budget?

I'm running off XP 32bit, I believe it cannot support all 6BG? I was under the impression 4GB would be fine for nearly anything.
My budget is very flexible, but I'd like to keep it under $600.

Thanks for clarifying.

If I was unclear, I intend to buy off Newegg later, but the browser I'm using can't load it. (Wii)

N/A = Not support "-" = Under Testing
Phenom II X4 965 . . . . N/A
Phenom II X4 955 . . . . N/A
All other AM3 . . . . "-"

It is an AM2 board, not an AM2+. It won't support AM3 chips.

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
&
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - Retail

$253 w/free shipping

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory
$75 w/free shipping

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$70 w/free shipping

Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX260MC896OCDE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$180 w/$20 MIR

Total of $578.

That's a killer mobo and a decent quad. While not Crucial, G.Skill is top-notch RAM. Seagate is no longer king of hard drives... they have dropped their warranty to three years, but WD has kicked theirs up to five, plus the Black series are very fast. BFG also offers a lifetime warranty on their GFX cards. ;)

I'm running off XP 32bit, I believe it cannot support all 6BG? I was under the impression 4GB would be fine for nearly anything.
My budget is very flexible, but I'd like to keep it under $600.

Thanks for clarifying.

If I was unclear, I intend to buy off Newegg later, but the browser I'm using can't load it. (Wii)

Sorry, I read wrong. I thought you were only going to get two gigabytes total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom