Some simple build questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to troubl3dmind
Default Some simple build questions

I recently received my financial aid refund for college, and decided to spend it on a good computer since that is what I'm going into, and it might help down the road to have a computer with some speed. Not to mention I want to play games!

Here is what I came up with:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor - 3.0GHz, 2MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s), Windsor, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket AM2, ADX6000CZBOX, Processor with Fan

MSI K9N4 SLI-F Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket AM2, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, RAID

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 Memory (2 x 1024MB

Xion DAZL Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 500-Watt Power Supply

Now a couple of comments. My case comes with 3 fans already. The processor comes with heatsink (i think) and fan. Also I already have a hard drive speakers etc I'm just going to swap them out.

Now a couple of questions. Is everything compatible? I've done tons of reasearch and I'm probably 95% positive everything is but i'd like to get someone else's opinion. Second question, is this a good system? For my winter refund I want to throw two 8600 gtx graphics cards in there. Is this a good choice? I can get both for around 400 dollars.

I guess what i'm asking is: is everything compatible, and will i be able to play directx 10 games when I buy my graphics cards? Some people say that the amd 6000+ runs hot. I don't plan to overclock, so is stock cooling okay? And my last question is will my power supply be suffecient? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Some simple build questions

What is your budget?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

About 500 dollars. 489 to be exact. Probably can't go over either because, like I said, i'm a college student. That's why I want to wait for my next refund to buy graphics hardware. Feel free to change anything around but i'm pretty sure I want that processor. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If I am asking too much, can someone just tell me if everything is compatible? I don't want to get it and find out I have to wait another week to get one part or something. Any help would.... help!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

ok.. not so great... why? for the price there are wayy better CPU's then that 6000+ plus you NEVER i mean NEVER use the Stock Case CPU... and why did you cheap out on the RAM?
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 09-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What cpus are better than the 6000 for the price? The reason i cheaped out on the RAM is because i ordered all my parts at tigerdirect, and when i got to the ram most of the good ones are expensive but with rebates are cheap. Problem is that i heard you rarely get your rebates back with tigerdirect. If you could recommend a better processor and motherboard it would be appreciated, i think the motherboard and processor together are around 270, so if you could give me something within this price range. Also, should i just go newegg?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Money is a big problem, i'm trying to pack a bunch of parts into a 500 dollar budget, so it's not so easy. Also, what do you mean by stock case cpu? If that means the heatsinks and fans that come with the processor shouldn't they be okay if i don't overclock? I would like to get better ones, but like i said money is a problem. I appreciate your help! Sorry i forgot to include this in the top one, and hit back instead of edit.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok look these up... well get these from Newegg.. which is an overall better site

Crucial Ballistix 2GB RAM Kit
e6750
gigabyte p35-ds3l (do u have a video card btw?)
Coolermaster 690
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't have a videocard. Because i'm in college and i get financial aid, in winter i get another 500 give or take depending on how much spring tuition is, so that's when i'm going to upgrade.

Also, I want this computer to be able to run right out of the box. (well, after i put it together) I already have an IDE hard drive, speakers, two dvd drives, floppy etc. These things I can swap, but everything else I need to buy.

This is kind of off topic, but is there any way you can click a link and view all of the threads you started? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

ya sure... but i don't have a video card in there... so u;ll need integrated and that card doesn't have integrated... i'll throw a crappy one in there til you can replace it...

As for the links.. coming right up:
these are the common parts....

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100203L Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Whether You want AMD or Intel choose one of these:

AMD:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Intel:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

if you take the AMD, you don't need that hd2400pro because its got Integrated Graphics... but if you go with the Intel you have to get that hd2400pro

Closed Thread