Some good news for B3 stepping owners - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Some good news for B3 stepping owners

Now, these are not my words, so I am not taking credit for them. But this should take the weight off of some of your poor shoulders.

Quote:
just to introduce a teeny tiny bit of reality in the situation.

on release, the Q6600 has a WORST SITUATION of 105W's. ok in intels case its a percentage of the actual theoretical maximum based on their "average" usage numbers. but thats a constant method/percentage anyway.

but 6 months ago, the worst chips about wouldn't break the 105W, they have to be a little conservative aswell so even the worst chips are unlikely to actually hit 105W on the dot. either way, the process becomes older, they find new ways to tweak yields up a little, quality of chips increases, the wattage decreases a little further with every little trick they find. over several months they get the wattage down , after 4 months a few chips but not many actually run with 95W, but still the worst ones are at 101W's. another few months later and the worst chips are doing 95W now. so what do they do, its time to remarket and rebrand, its their low cost quad core, dell and other people want to hit the sub 100W mark to go in cheaper computers so they call the new stepping G0 and its rated at 95W now.

not all use 95W, some are still better. but its not as if, they walk in one day and stay, stop production on those B3's all using 105W's, we'll use this brand new G0 at 95W. they simply change the numbers they put on the cpu after they hit the point where no more chips were over 95W. in all likelyhood the last month or two of b3's have mostly been sub 95W aswell.
Seems like a good possibility that this is the truth, minus some of the poor grammar.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Default Re: Some good news for B3 stepping owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirth View Post
Now, these are not my words, so I am not taking credit for them. But this should take the weight off of some of your poor shoulders.

Seems like a good possibility that this is the truth, minus some of the poor grammar.
I read that post too when i was searching for how to find out if its g0 or not. Still thought I'm going to strive to get a g0 processor, cause like i said before, i haven't waited this long to pay +50 dollars

Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

+50 dollars? Where are you planning to buy, mate?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirth View Post
+50 dollars? Where are you planning to buy, mate?
well it depends I'm just saying in general prices seem higher then they were right before july 22nd...yes supply and demand blah blah
Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well, there are still places where you can buy for sub-300 to 300, NCIX.com being one of them, but some you are guaranteed to get a b3, some are left more to chance. But you can get them for cheaper than newegg, that's for sure.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I'm just bumping this, in case anybody cares or needs comforted.

Closed Thread