some cooling questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default some cooling questions

First off, I have the antec 900 black case. So far it has housed all my parts well. All that I have left to buy is the video card and the hard drive, and the OS.

I have some questions about cooling. Other than powering them up, is there any way to know which way each fan is blowing? If not I will wait until I have all my parts to check that. On this note... is there any harm in turning the unit on while missing the vid card and HD? Not that I plan to, but I was thinking it needs all the pieces to turn on properly, and just wanted some confirmation.

The fans it has, are the one 200MM up top, the two 120MM on front, and the one 120MM on back. It has space for what looks like another 120MM inside and one more 120MM on the side.

I don't plan on doing any overclocking right away. I plan on running everything as is and see how it goes. Should these fans be enough? How should I set each fan? (intake, exhaust)

I have been reading a lot of you guys referring to operating temperatures. How are you checking your temps? With an infared gun type tool? I need one of these anyway for the garage, using it in two places would work for me.
Do you have a special display, module, ETC for doing this?

Thanks all in advance!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Default Re: some cooling questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteffens View Post
First off, I have the antec 900 black case. So far it has housed all my parts well. All that I have left to buy is the video card and the hard drive, and the OS.

I have some questions about cooling. Other than powering them up, is there any way to know which way each fan is blowing? If not I will wait until I have all my parts to check that. On this note... is there any harm in turning the unit on while missing the vid card and HD? Not that I plan to, but I was thinking it needs all the pieces to turn on properly, and just wanted some confirmation.

The fans it has, are the one 200MM up top, the two 120MM on front, and the one 120MM on back. It has space for what looks like another 120MM inside and one more 120MM on the side.

I don't plan on doing any overclocking right away. I plan on running everything as is and see how it goes. Should these fans be enough? How should I set each fan? (intake, exhaust)

I have been reading a lot of you guys referring to operating temperatures. How are you checking your temps? With an infared gun type tool? I need one of these anyway for the garage, using it in two places would work for me.
Do you have a special display, module, ETC for doing this?

Thanks all in advance!
the front two are intake. the top is exhaust so is the back. They should be good enough. If you are OCing though, you are going to want a good heatsink/fan.

you use a program to read temps, like coretemp. Google it

Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks. I'm sorry if my questions here seem simple and should be already known but this is all new territory for me.

I appreciate the info!!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Biohazardous

no problem. that is what we are here for.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Camera junky

to know what way the air is blowign with out powerign up look which way teh fins are angled if there engled in there blowing in if there angled out there blowing out lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

yeahhhhh I've been sick the past few days and busy as heck with work school ETC.

I have read a bunch of reviews for the mobo i bought now after reading other good reviews before and having it recommended on this forum now I worry if it will work right. ::sigh:: I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Biohazardous

what mobo is it
Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

it's the ABIT IP35-E and I did some more reading and apparently as long as I get a good "bios" for it which I guess is the core 'programming?' for it i should be ok. I got it from newegg and already have everything hooked up because it was recommended to me on this board. I guess we'll see.

Closed Thread