soldering gun ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default soldering gun ?

If I wanted to make my own case mods and do some of my own backlighting on some of my electronics.. what would be a good beginners sodlering gun to get?
I am interested in making an LED backlit keyboard.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Re: soldering gun ?

What kind of mods are you thinking or? To be honest I rarely use my soldering gun on my case....good luck with aluminum and acrylic/plastic just uses glue.

i have a weller WLC100 I use for general electronics which would do you just find for LEDs etc... they and similar models are available at most electronics stores. Many options for cheaper or more expensive. Weller WLC100 Soldering Station For Hobbyist And Do-It-Yourselfer: Home Improvement

Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I wasn't going to solder on the keyboard plastic. I was meaning to solder LEDs to the control board of the keyboard. I am hoping to take apart an old keyboard and remove the scroll lock LED and connect a couple of LEDs to it. This way I can have a semi illuminated keyboard with an on/off switch.

I just have 0 experience with doing anything like that, so it will be an adventure.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cheapo soldering iron at your equivalent of B&Q and blach and decker tools. If its one of use it doesn't really matter. Practice quite a few times though its quite difficult to get the ideal amount of solder droplet to not flood a circuit and strongly bond the wire.
Closed Thread