So you've just won the lottery and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cylon

Baseband Member
You've decided that the first thing you want to do with your wealth is build the most incredible rig ever. So assuming that your funds were unlimited what would your setup look like?

You've decided that the first thing you want to do with your wealth is build the most incredible rig ever. So assuming that your funds were unlimited what would your setup look like?
I'd get:
a new house
a car (I don't care if it doesn't have a 5L V8 engine, or so big you need two parking spaces) (hey, Warren Buffet drives a second hand Volvo.....)

I'd update my system to a purely gaming/intensive task system with:

* 9950 BE, wait for 45nm Phenom's to come out and buy one
* an SB750 board (with a layout like that of my K9A2 Platinum)
* 2 x 1GB 4870's and crossfire them (replacing 2 x 3870's) (honestly, they will be able to run Crysis really well. I don't really care if they don't break world records)
* 4 x 2GB DDR2-1066
* a PCI-E SAS controller and a Seagate 450GB 15k.6 SAS drive, and only keep maybe two of my 750GB drives (see below)
* start taking it to more LAN's, or even host some (with a whole lot of money, I could get some expensive gigabit switches with heaps of ports)

* get 2 x 30 inch S-IPS or H-IPS LCD's with a good response times and 2560x1600 resolution (use one for a file server/media box, and one for my gaming system)
* consider getting a projector for movies and stuff (but I think the 30" LCD would work quite well though)

* build a file server/media box and put 6 x 1.5TB drives in it (I'd be happy to use my Foxconn C51XEM2AA board), as well as an audiophile sound card (and possibly replace some of the OpAmps with LME49720's) and some studio monitors
* start doing some serious case mods

ummmm, why would u possibly get 1066, u would get 1600.
K10 motherboards will only use DDR2-1066 until they move to DDR3 (which will happen with AM3/45nm CPU's - which will also work in AM2+). And overclocking K10 is done a lot better with multiplier increasing rather than HTT bus increasing.

even then, with their IMC, DDR2-1066 should be more than enough to feed the cores, even past 3GHZ. And you can still get good latencies at DDR2-1066 depending on what modules you get.

quick question, can mobos with 4 pci e slots possibly run a quad crossfire setup?
I know it's possible to have 4 GPU's (2 x X2 cards). I'm not sure if there are drivers that allow 4 physical cards to run in crossfire though.

But the advantage of having many PCI-E slots, is that they can be used for more than just graphics cards.

As far as pc parts go I would get

a Extreme edition Nehalem
gigabyte x58 motherboard
3x1gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133mhz
2x HD 4870x2
Antec 1200 case
Corsair 1000hx
2x 300gb VelociRaptors in raid0.
3x 1 tb Seagate 7200.11's
2x 65" 1080p HDTV's for monitors
Water Cooling
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Denon 7.1 channel receiver with 7x Boston Acustics Horizon speakers and a Boston Acoustics HPS 10SE sub

I would also get a Skyline GT-R and a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A with a 340 six pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom