So...went with the G.Skill Ram - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: So...went with the G.Skill Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post
yes, but can they prove you did?
Plus One (+1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabb View Post
So Im still a little confused...what speed do they take it up too with 2.1V and beyond? Default its at DDR 800 right?
Every setup is slightly different.

You see how far you can go on stock voltages until comp is unstable.

For most C2D overclocks it is suggested/reccomended that you Up the RAM Voltage to at least 2.0V right away. FOr much higher overclocks 2.1, 2.2 or even higher voltage may be required once you pass the rated RAM Speed.
And as always with overclocking, you risk shortening the life of the component or it could die in a short period of time. As is the risk when overclocking. But it is well known. And we just don't care, cause WE CAN RMA CRAP!!! Muahahahh!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Exclamation Re: So...went with the G.Skill Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
Plus One (+1)

Every setup is slightly different.

You see how far you can go on stock voltages until comp is unstable.

For most C2D overclocks it is suggested/reccomended that you Up the RAM Voltage to at least 2.0V right away. FOr much higher overclocks 2.1, 2.2 or even higher voltage may be required once you pass the rated RAM Speed.
And as always with overclocking, you risk shortening the life of the component or it could die in a short period of time. As is the risk when overclocking. But it is well known. And we just don't care, cause WE CAN RMA CRAP!!! Muahahahh!
Ah never thought about that, so RMA is just like returning it to get a replacement part, so that way people just overclock and once the ram dies they just RMA it? When buying from newegg, do they RMA it with newegg or with the Ram company itself? Which is better? Thanks again for all the info!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ste

Almost all products are RMAed back to the Manufacturing address.
(Return to manufacturing address) == RMA
You won't always get a Brand new model of what you RMAed. Sometimes depending on what product you RMAed they may attempt to fix it or solve what is wrong with it, if they can, they will mail it back to you. If they can't and most times they don't even try to fix it, they mail you a refurbished or open box model of the item you RMAed. And in the absolute best case they mail you the exact same model of which is brand spanking new and never opened.

It must be stressed that when you phone in the RMA you give them as little information reguarding your computer knowledge.
Thus avoiding them even asking about whether your overclocked or did anything that would void the warranty.

Of course they may ask anyways, and again, you don't know anything about overclocking..

I never had to RMA anything, because by the time anything of mine died or malfucntioned it was time to upgrade anyways..
Wait I take that back, I had to RMA my labtop once because of a malfunctioning Screen, all they did was repair the problem (Which was a damaged internal moniter cable) and ship it back to me.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

So for other parts if you bought from newegg.. would u RMA to them? or call up the manufacturer and RMA with them? or does ti really matter?
Video Card: ATI 1950xt 256mb
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
PSU: Corsaid 520HX
HSF: Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 PRo
Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetahammy View Post
So for other parts if you bought from newegg.. would u RMA to them? or call up the manufacturer and RMA with them? or does ti really matter?
I don't know, its product dependant. You would have to read the warranty of whatever product was in question.

However, I have never owned a product that would be RMAed back to newegg instead of the original manufacturer.

Again, MOST products are not under prolonged warranty by the store/place/website from which you bought it from.. Most warranties for such are under a month in case you wanted to return it or something. Most give store credit...
Or something like that.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to KingAustin

If you buy from newegg, you RMA back to newegg. RMA stands for return merchandise authorization (number).
7900GT w/ Zalman vf900 650/800
Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAustin View Post
If you buy from newegg, you RMA back to newegg. RMA stands for return merchandise authorization (number).
Not true with all products.

I can say for certain that my labtop did not go back to newegg it went to IBM. (lenova)
Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Lightbulb Re: So...went with the G.Skill Ram

Er there seems to be a split decision in this and I need to find the definite answer since RMA my RAM is a very likely possibility. Do I send it to the manufacturer or newegg? ahhhh pros and cons?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ste

Call the manufacturer, you arranage it with them. You ship it to them.

If you want to be sure, read the paper work that came with your product, it will tell you.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

heheh hee hee hee...i put 2.4V to my xms2 and the overclock i got i cant even post here....it might scare ya'll or you could just break down into a shivering puddle of sobs...
i am master of ze voltage.