So this is my build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, wait...I was looking at the box on NewEgg, and right on the front sticking out, it says "Quad CrossFireX"
A 4 way CrossFire? I know it's possible, but on this board? It only has 2 PCIEX16 slots...
Does this mean I can do a 3 way with another 3450?
If so...I'm buying another 3450, then I can go up to my friends and brag about my 3 graphics cards. Haha.
But seriously wouldn't that run games like WoW with very high FPS? 70-150 range? (Obviously depending on where you are in the game)

Woah, wait...I was looking at the box on NewEgg, and right on the front sticking out, it says "Quad CrossFireX"
A 4 way CrossFire? I know it's possible, but on this board? It only has 2 PCIEX16 slots...
Does this mean I can do a 3 way with another 3450?
If so...I'm buying another 3450, then I can go up to my friends and brag about my 3 graphics cards. Haha.
But seriously wouldn't that run games like WoW with very high FPS? 70-150 range? (Obviously depending on where you are in the game)

first.. almost anything can run WOW at high FPS...

second, 2 slots means 2 cards... so think about it... lol

quad xfire with 2 slots means 2 individual cards with 2 GPU's on each card.. ie. hd4870X2...

and unless you have a 30" monitor, it is not worth it for the money..

first.. almost anything can run WOW at high FPS...

second, 2 slots means 2 cards... so think about it... lol

quad xfire with 2 slots means 2 individual cards with 2 GPU's on each card.. ie. hd4870X2...

and unless you have a 30" monitor, it is not worth it for the money..

Alright, sheesh I'm still learning. Lol
And no...Not everything can run WoW at high FPS. Especially in Northerend, or places in Outland.
The GeForce 6200 I have right now puts out like 12-20 with mid settings. That's low as crap, with low settings I can get up to 30, away from cities but that makes the game look like a pile of steaming crap on your monitor.
I guess where my computer is so outdated it's impossible for me to imagine newer hardware, like today's. Haha, I can't wait to have this stuff in my hands.

that combo of the cpu and board you got is good but i think its worth getting this, its a great deal and you will get a quad core out of it.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

also i wouldn't go with PNY ram, i havent even really heard of anyone who uses them, ddr3 has basically no gain over ddr2 on the am3/2+ chipset so stick with the Gskill PI or PQ.

You can use onboard but for what you are doing i reckon this would be ok
Newegg.com - ASUS EN9600GSO/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
good deal on rebate, otherwise a 4350 would be good
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100264HDMI Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

that combo of the cpu and board you got is good but i think its worth getting this, its a great deal and you will get a quad core out of it.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

also i wouldn't go with PNY ram, i havent even really heard of anyone who uses them, ddr3 has basically no gain over ddr2 on the am3/2+ chipset so stick with the Gskill PI or PQ.

You can use onboard but for what you are doing i reckon this would be ok
Newegg.com - ASUS EN9600GSO/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
good deal on rebate, otherwise a 4350 would be good
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100264HDMI Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thanks, but I think I'm just going to stick with the combo I found, it's a bit more future proof with AM3 and DDR3. I don't mind paying a bit more now for my RAM, it's going to be the same price as DDR2 by the time I should upgrade.

And I'm not just going to use the IGP, (On the list) I've got a 3450, which is going to CrossFire with the 3300.
With them both CrossFired, they get scores on 3DMark that are better than cards like the HD4350 and 9400GT. They get comparable scores to the HD4550.
I think I'm saving money on that right now, if I only have to pay $30 for the performance of a $60+ card. Obviously not long term, but works until I upgrade.
I'm not a very hardcore gamer, I usually play games like WoW, and am going to play the Sims 3 some, I'm probably going to emulate games, kind of a mixed batch. With this I can get WoW to look great with good FPS, watch HD video, do casual things.

I did not know you already had the 3450 sorry, i forgot about the earlier posts, its been a while. Go with that combo if you want, the asus is definitely a better board but if you want lastability the quad is the way to go.

I did not know you already had the 3450 sorry, i forgot about the earlier posts, its been a while. Go with that combo if you want, the asus is definitely a better board but if you want lastability the quad is the way to go.

Ahh, ok great, thanks.
Yeah I'm wanting something that will last me a long time, so I think it's pretty good to go ahead and make the switch to DDR3 and AM3. I'm still on DDR lol, my board right now is a Intel 478 socket.
And a 3 core can cover what I want for now. Though I am still on a single core...I'm going to see how far 3 cores can take me with multitasking.
I'm probably ordering the combo today, because I have no ideal when it might run out. I'll be (Should anyway) ordering the rest of the parts by next weekend.

Ahh, ok great, thanks.
I'm probably ordering the combo today, because I have no ideal when it might run out. I'll be (Should anyway) ordering the rest of the parts by next weekend.

Change in plans...I'm ordering every part next weekend.
I'm probably going to make a video of it and post it on YouTube, and a bit later try to overclock and unlock the 4th core of the X3.
I like that my mobo has an OC switch...That sounds nifty.

Is there any way to find out when combo deals run out on Newegg?

As far as i know not many people have luck unlocking the fourth core, as hiki has told me he could not manage to get it to boot at any voltage with the 4th unlocked. But i would def give i a go because there are a bunch of people on the internet that have unlocked it and it will be very pleasing if you can. Last i heard the asus boards didnt have the right feature to unlock the core and only the bios from gigabyte and biostar had it, i have not looked into this and i may be incorrect so read up.

As far as i know not many people have luck unlocking the fourth core, as hiki has told me he could not manage to get it to boot at any voltage with the 4th unlocked. But i would def give i a go because there are a bunch of people on the internet that have unlocked it and it will be very pleasing if you can. Last i heard the asus boards didnt have the right feature to unlock the core and only the bios from gigabyte and biostar had it, i have not looked into this and i may be incorrect so read up.

Yeah, I've been about hearing the same. And about the Asus board thing, you can download a newer BIOS that has the option to unlock the forth core, the guy on NCIX Tech Tips (YouTube) did it with a similar Asus board, so I'm GIGGITY about it.
I will give it a go, hope it works. :D
Edit;
Yeah someone had this in their review on Newegg;
"Every connection you might need
Build in core unlocking future inside Bios
Unlocked my X3 720 (with every bios and latest as well)
Good Overclocking, stable with and without OC.
Can map power button to enable OC on demand, i use it when i need more power for game."
So it can unlock the 4th core..Lets just hope I get a functioning core. :D

I will be ordering the parts for my beast this weekend...My god I can't wait. As I have said, my computer was good in 2005...Now it just, cannot do anything that the mainstream internet life requires. I'll finally be in this age of technology...I'm probably going to name her...
Hahaha (maybe) going to far. So I'll post from my new computer the benchmarks and good stuff I get, probably Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Oh yeah...All the 3450's on Newegg (Or the ones I would actually need to buy) are out of stock or deactivated!
Guess I'll have to go with the IGP for awhile, which is fine for a little while.
I guess that's just $40 more I don't have to have right away. Brings my build down to $365. Yeah I can do that, haha.

I'm also going with a new case..Which in my opinion is by far the best $50 case on Newegg

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Simple, looks awesome, and isn't to flashy. (Got tons of lights and shiny plastic with odd looking features) And hey, it's Antec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom