So I've been thinking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
9600gso is just an 8800gs right that they've reflashed? and an 8800gs is just an 8800gt that has a lower interface, and 9600gt has 64 pixel shaders, while the 8800gs/9600gso has 96 right?

www.LLY.get.to: GeForce 9600GSO vs 9600GT

Is that why the 9600gso beats the 9600gt here in every situation? or is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: sorry this was supposed to go to New Technology Forum, can I kindly ask a cool moderator to move it?

EDIT 2: Wow nVidia is on a renaming spree... this is somewhat old news but they also renamed 8400GS to 9300GS, and the Geforce 8500GT renamed to Geforce 9400GS... heres an idea geniuses start pulling out new cards!!

i think it is because they were using a 30" monitor and the 9600GSO has more shader than the 9600GT (this is my guess) still havent finish reading i just wanted to post these cz im currently reading the test platform

EDIT: the 9600GT is 512MB and 9600GSO is 768MB

yeah, I don't know where Nvidias marketing team is at right now, but apparently they think renaming cards and modifying them slightly is enough to appease the general public. I am getting tired of all these different named cards with only slighlty different specs.

I am really anxious to see how hard they rack thier brains when they hit 9900. wonder if they will go 10xxx or come up with a completely new name.

nvidia needs to come up with a different naming system then numbers, roman numerals would be interesting (but hard to remember)...

^^ yep, and since most noobs think thats the higher number of card is more powerful they will think that say the 9400gs is more powerful then all the 8 series cards....

Lol, yes yes. But back to the actual article, like Prototype mentioned, the 9600GSO was a 768MB version which is not available yet that I have seen and will cost more than the 9600GT. So it makes sense that it performs better. The 9600GSO 384MB version, however, will be slightly cheaper and perform slightly less than the 9600GT. If there was a direct 512MB-512MB comparison, that would give you the real answer on which card is better.. and it would probably end up being the GSO since it has other advantages as mentioned.

Thanks guys, I was stupid enough to not notice the 9600gso had 768mb in the test (maybe cuz I was studying for mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom