So I'm gonna switch to Intel...please enlighten me - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default So I'm gonna switch to Intel...please enlighten me

Alright, let me give you some background...This is gonna be my first computer build. I've been running a refurbished Netvista for the past 6-7 years, so this should be very exciting!

I was all set on building an AMD machine...
AMD x2
Asus M2R32-MVP
Seagate 320GB
OCZ Dual Channel DDR2 CrossFire Certified Memory
OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply
Aspire X-Cruiser
and then top it all off with a high end graphics card (maybe when the x1950xtx comes down a hair in price)

Now, after reading up some more, I think i have changed my mind and will go with the Core2Duo E6600! But I spent so long trying to find all of the right components I wanted to go with the AMD set up, and I'm very much a I'm having trouble finding comparable components for the C2D setup. I want a good gaming computer, and I will probably give a hand at overclocking just for fun. I play a lot of Flight Simulator, and the new Flight SImulator X is extremly demanding. I also don't want to pay for something that is way more then i'll ever use (ie a $300 motherboard will probably have more whistles then i'll ever blow on it).

That being said...i think that RAM i've picked is probably not the best bet for me, and I like that powersupply, but I'm not sure it is enough Amps to run ATI (website says 30amps is ideal). I really wanna run crossfire at some point, and thats where i bottlenecked on finding a mobo! I don't have a problem spending a little more for good, 'top tier' products...i'd like to stay around the $1500 range.

I know this was long, but ANY help would be great...thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

e6600 easily. Switch the x1950xtx to an nVidia 8800GTS too. OCZ is a good solid company for RAM but you might want to check out g.skill. They have killer OC abilities.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

that sounds like a good rig to me, as well. that e6600 will smoke my amd and its brothers (but i still love it, make no mistake).
my corsair ram can run stable at 500 mhz, so i like it pretty good!
i'm torn between the 8800gts and the x1900xtx as well. my 7900 gs has had all kinds of driver related problems, but once i solved them...awesome card. i think i will wait on the 8800 to make sure they don't suffer the same sort of problems...hmmmm...
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ya, but is there a better specific model from OCZ that would be better? What about speed...will any of that even use 800mhz RAM or should I get a slower speed (to save money perhaps).

And like i said, there is a lot more selection it seems as far as Intel chipsets for Mobos so i'm getting frustrated finding something good for the e6600? I assume your running a C2D, CVB724, what sort of mainboard (or whole system) do you have? (for an example?)
Like I said, real noob! But i learn quick

thanks guys, glad to see an active board

Closed Thread