So I just finished building my first computer, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InAchord

Beta member
I'm looking for a simple list/compilation of what to do when you're done with your build.

Configure the BIOS? Install the OS right away?

What do I do now to ensure that my build will be running smoothly (no overheating in the future) and that I've covered all my bases?

CPU AMD|PH II X3 720 BK AM3
PSU ANTEC|EA650
MB ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 790X AM3
HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502HJ
COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Install the operating system. then you can install a temp program and make sure it is all done correctly. then you can go in and play with the bios and start OCing.

Yep install OS first, then check your timings and multipliers are set to default. You can monitor your idle temps in bios also.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, but I have some follow up questions:

What's the best program to use to monitor the temps of my system?

Also, what's the best way to prevent dust particles from accumulating on/in my computer? Six months from now I know there will already be a thin layer of dust on my computer, and dust = lower performance. Obviously covering it with something will do the job, but with what exactly? I don't want it to overheat, so maybe cover it only when I turn it off?

Use HW Monitor
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

And just turn it off when you're done with it. Dust is gonna happen. You can cover it, depends how dedicated you are at KEEPING it clean. Just get some canned air and blow it out every once in a while. Or if you have an air compressor, that helps a lot too.

And yeah:
OS, then your board disc, then the other programs you want/need, virus software. BIOS tweak.

depending on the environment you are in, you could always leave the side of your case off so there is more air flow and less dust build up. If the case you bought is specificly meant to be closed for the sake of air flow through the system..then keep the side on. I have had mine off for maybe 3 years now and it always runs cool, and i have blown the dust out only once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom