A sneak peek at DirectX 10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like DirectX 9.0b vs DirectX 9.0c

9.0c was only supported by Geforce 6000 series when it came out, but 9.0b cards (like the X800) could still run the games fine... just not with smartshader 3.0

It's like DirectX 9.0b vs DirectX 9.0c

9.0c was only supported by Geforce 6000 series when it came out, but 9.0b cards (like the X800) could still run the games fine... just not with smartshader 3.0

ahhh.........well then i guess im gonna get either the 9800 or R700 later. Right now, i need the X1650XT to replace mine for a while.

Besides, DX10.1 is no big deal. It just optimizes textures, AA, and sound.

I agree with what Vaanish said. The current DX10 cards are not fully compliant with DX10.1....Only cards like the GeForce 9 series and so forth, are fully compliant with DX10.1....I've heard though, that DX10.1 is backwards compatible with DX10.

well as long as they use engines that are scalable to hardware like the SOURCE engine then nobody has to worry. SOURCE can scale back to DX7 if need be. So if they keep it up then what DX version you have really doesn't matter.

hold up b1gapl, i thought to support for DX10.1, we needed to get newer graphics cards like the upcoming 9800?

so u saying that its FINE to get an 8800 GTX n STILL support DX10.1??

P.S nice avatar n redone sig :D

The info that B1gapl post is about DX10.1 is an update to DX10
just like there were updates to DX9, do you remember graphics cards with DX9.1, DX9c ?? I'll guess not, this is just an update to DX10 it would be insane if you have to buy a new card every time theres a DirectX update..

I hear that some of the new 512MB Radeon Video Cards are not DirectX 10 compatible.

Is correct? What newer Video cards aren't? Or did i hear this from an unreliable source?

I hear that some of the new 512MB Radeon Video Cards are not DirectX 10 compatible.

Is correct? What newer Video cards aren't? Or did i hear this from an unreliable source?

the ram doesn't matter much, u have to know their names.... all the ATI radeon cards out now and geforce cards are not 10.1 card, but u can run em, sorta like good ole' Apokalipse mentioned:

"It's like DirectX 9.0b vs DirectX 9.0c

9.0c was only supported by Geforce 6000 series when it came out, but 9.0b cards (like the X800) could still run the games fine... just not with smartshader 3.0"

At the annual SIGGRAPH (Special Interest Group for Computer GRAPHics) conference - more exciting than it sounds, Microsoft presented a lecture on the new Direct3D graphics platform and even newer Direct3D 10.1 framework. The whole course has been subsequently published to Microsoft Downloads. Here is their Powerpoint presentation for a quick summary.

Direct3D 10.1 looks to be quite a significant release for DirectX. Some of the interesting points to note:

* Will require Windows Vista SP1
* Not “supported” by current-generation DX10 hardware
* “Extension” to Direct3D 10 - “complete” D3D10
* 5 new API
* Improves rendering quality
o Enforces floating point 32 rendering
o Enforces 4x multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA)

For argument's sake, Direct3D 10.1 didn't come out of the blue. Microsoft had always planned for a 10.1 update when they released version 10. However that is no excuse as to why is it not compatible with DX10 hardware? People who have to dish out hundreds of premium dollars to buy DirectX-10 hardware today will be outdated in less than 6 months.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20070808/direct3d-101-siggraph/]Source

Good timing MS...... -_-

**** looks like there is going to be a huge stockpile of 8800's. Since now a lot of ppl will just wait for the 9800's to come out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom