Small Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
My PC recently stopped booting into Windows XP, something a quick format would fix, but I thought that this would be a good time to make a few upgrades to the PC while im at it. So what I want to do it change the case, I don't like the small Raidmax Scorpio case I have. I am also going to add a decent heatsink, which couldn't be done unless I took out the whole motherboard anyways, and I think I want to buy a 2GB set of high end ram. I have also been toying with the idea of getting a new Socket 939 chip, and motherboard, (I have a Socket 754 Chip and Board, I know, its outdated) because me and a friend host an online game on his slow P4 2.4GHZ system, and we want a system dedicated to hosing the game, so it won't be slowed by his own personal use. If I do get a 939 chip it will probably get the exact same chip, possibly a 3400+ or 3500+, I don't have the money to go in the FX Series or 4000+. Also if I do get a 939 chip I will finally be able to run my ram in Dual Channel, which would be nice. Of course that always leaves the option of PCI-E, and I don't think im ready to shell out $500-$600 for a new high-end video card just yet. Mine runs perfectly fine for any game out right now, I haven't had to put a game on low video settings, yet.....

So here are my questions:

I need some case recommendations. I want a full tower case that has a window, but I don't want a door on the front. I don't like having to push the Creative front panel drive in a half an inch to make the door close, because the volume knobs get in the way.

Also, could you recommend some AGP socket 939 Mobos, as well as a 2x1GB set of Ram.

As far as a budget goes, im not completely sure yet, but if you could, just give me the prices for the best of the best, and the one step down.

Anyways, thanks for the help in advance.

Glad to help you. I just bought the Full Tower ATX Aspire X Dreamer 2 case (in my opinion very nice).

A good socket 939 mobo is the DFI Ultra-D.. tha's about $125...PCIE... Now if you wanted to get a AGP mobo, the MSI Neo2 Platinum is a nice board. You want some high end RAM, the way to go is the Mushkin Redline 4000s. Step below is OCZ EL DDR PC3200 DC Gold VX. I think you would be happy with that. If you want a good AGP video card...6800GT. PCIE, perhaps 6800GT or better.

I looked at some CPU's im thinking if I do go for one, it will be the 3500+, possibly a 3700+, but im not sure whether to get the Clawhammer core, or Venice? Also, I couldn't find the full tower version of the X-Dreamer II case. But I looked at an Antec case that I kind of like, I just don't like the fact that it only comes in 1 color. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129144
Also its not a "Full" tower, but it is 20" High, so I don't know.

or if u can afford a 3700 San Diego, go with that. The extra cache is nice.

Blackmoore, if you are not going to overclock, go with value RAM. it wont make a difference unless you overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom