Small form factor case reccomendations.

35g700

rustle rustle
I'm sick of my massive HAF932 and am looking to go either uATX or ITX for my next build. My 2500K is also getting pretty old and I think running it at 4.5GHz for the past 5 or so years has taken its toll. (getting a lot of wierd noises coming from the sound card, and sometimes when I press the power button the fans spin up for a few seconds then stop, then start again)

Does anyone have any recommendations for small cases? I was thinking either the ncase m1 or phanteks evolv shift if I go ITX or the corsair 350d for uATX, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for either. I like the idea of a nice small ITX case, but I'm not sure if the limited space and extra cost required (can't reuse current PSU/video card/cooler) is worth it if it's only a tiny bit smaller.

I bought an 8700K so I'll be building around that, but I figure I'll hammer out the details on MoBo + RAM and whatnot once I settle on a case.

Last edited:
I'm sick of my massive HAF932 and am looking to go either uATX or ITX for my next build. My 2500K is also getting pretty old and I think running it at 4.5GHz for the past 5 or so years has taken its toll. (getting a lot of wierd noises coming from the sound card, and sometimes when I press the power button the fans spin up for a few seconds then stop, then start again)

Does anyone have any recommendations for small cases? I was thinking either the ncase m1 or phanteks evolv shift if I go ITX or the corsair 350d for uATX, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for either. I like the idea of a nice small ITX case, but I'm not sure if the limited space and extra cost required (can't reuse current PSU/video card/cooler) is worth it if it's only a tiny bit smaller.

I bought an 8700K so I'll be building around that, but I figure I'll hammer out the details on MoBo + RAM and whatnot once I settle on a case.
Your issues described would be the board, especially if you're using onboard audio.

Another suggestion so you're not limited later is grab a small mATX case instead. Something like the Bitfenix.

And where in the ever living **** did you get an 8700k from? At midnight Newegg was already on back ordered since those idiots slipped the listing early. Amazon hasn't showed any 8th gen listing at all yet.

Your issues described would be the board, especially if you're using onboard audio.

Another suggestion so you're not limited later is grab a small mATX case instead. Something like the Bitfenix.

And where in the ever living **** did you get an 8700k from? At midnight Newegg was already on back ordered since those idiots slipped the listing early. Amazon hasn't showed any 8th gen listing at all yet.

I'm actually using my Astro 2011 mix amp which is plugged in via usb. It's really strange, I hear a constant humming noise now and when my video card is under old it's way worse. Could be anything really. Will upgrade my headset too if it's an issue.

Got the 8700k from Amazon, it's on backorder though with no shipping estimate as of yet.

When I posted that earlier nothing was on Amazon. I had to search for the i5 which led me to the i7 which was out of stock. Super pissed about that so I'm going Ryzen.

The sound issue in that case is going to be noise in the line.

When I posted that earlier nothing was on Amazon. I had to search for the i5 which led me to the i7 which was out of stock. Super pissed about that so I'm going Ryzen.

The sound issue in that case is going to be noise in the line.

No delivery estimate on the 8700K, and the R7 1700x is down to $300. Thinking about going Ryzen as well.

I think I'm gonna go with the carbide 240.

So right now I'm thinking:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K
Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G
RAM: ???
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Case: Corsair Carbide 240.
GPU: GTX 970 Windforce
PSU: Corsair HX750
Storage: ???

I really have no idea on the RAM right now. It's so expensive and it seems like faster RAM makes a much bigger difference than it did back when I got my 2500K.

It looks like Samsung is still the king for SSD's, so I'm thinking the 960 EVO is the way to go, unless there is a cheaper option with little difference in speed/endurance. I'll probably also grab 2 4TB drives and put them in RAID 1 for more storage.

Are 80MM case fans worth it? I remember building computers 10 or 15 years ago with them and thinking they were really loud for the amount of air they moved.

EDIT: also probably gonna get an external disk drive and SD card reader.

Last edited:
Faster RAM only makes a difference on Ryzen. I can go between 2133 and 3000 on my 7700k and not tell a difference at all. I probably haven't even set the XMP profile after my last bios reset.

960 EVO is nice, but not necessary. Everyday tasks I still tell no difference between SATA and NVMe unless I'm staring at benchmarks.

For me if money was such a issue then going with intel was a very dumb idea.
Not saying you were stupid but i think if your concerns were with ram prices you could have gone the AMD route.
Especially with high ram prices and the cost of the Z370 chipset.

For me if money was such a issue then going with intel was a very dumb idea.
Not saying you were stupid but i think if your concerns were with ram prices you could have gone the AMD route.
Especially with high ram prices and the cost of the Z370 chipset.
Ram pricing is going to be the same regardless of platform. In this instance I don't really think money is that much of an issue, more so simply stating the fact that flash prices are in fact crazy high. I mean ****, my RAM kit is literally double what I paid last year.

Back
Top Bottom