Small computer upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky90

Solid State Member
Hello, I have an old computer I got at the beginning of high school. Its a Pentium 4. I have a little money to upgrade, I think I want to get a motherboard and processor. But my first main question, the computer I have right now is alienware, so the windows I have came pre installed. Do I need to reformat my hard drive before adding new hardware? Or could I simply just install the new stuff along with their drivers and be good to go.

What are you going to be using your PC for? What specs does your current PC have?
And yes, you will have to re-install windows after you upgrade your motherboard and processor.

Gaming, its a p4 3.2. 2 gigs of some ddr pc3200 ram. 7950gt (256mb). I wanted to get a cpu, motherboard, and maybe aftermarket cooler for like $300 or under.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

you will see a very nice improvement with these :)

oh I just noticed you will need DDR2 ram too.

pick up these too

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

that might go slightly over your budget but it will make a massive improvement to that system

this works out to 299.97 without tax and shipping lol

May be a 4830, if you can fit in $100 for a GPU, and instead of a DS3L, get a UD3P, more stable, and less problems. If you can't afford a E8400, get an e5200. Maybe some G skill PI blacks 800 MHz too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom