Slowly Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can get the same performance by overclocking the cpu. the multipliers are ways of upping the FSB of the cpu. in changing them you can make the cpu run faster than it is rated at

I would suggest that you upgrade your mobo and get a good dual core CPU. You can get a decent dual core intel processor (2 x 2.2ghz or thereabouts) for around £60-£70. as for the motherboard you should be able to get a compatible one for around £50. Its definitely worth getting a good CPU as I recently found when hopping from a shocking 2ghz to 2 x 2.66ghz

hope this helps :)

I think I may have been getting ahead of myself. I'm not looking to upgrade everything, just the CPU and motherboard for now. I still have my eye on Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor - Retail but can someone please elaborate

How exactly would I get the same performance as a 6400 with the 5000? What is a good (not too expensive) motherboard that would go nicely with the CPU and would my ram be compatible with it? Sorry I know I'm a huge noob.

ok I'll do my best to explain

x2 6400+ and 5000+ BE both come with Unlocked Multipliers

Getting to 3.2GHz with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition is stinking easy. No need to do anything except change the multiplier to 16 you have a X2 6400+ without the issues of a Windsor Core!!

also since the 5000+ BE is like $100 why not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom