SLI vs. Crossfire - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 146
Default SLI vs. Crossfire

Howzit going everyone, i just wanted to hear some opinions that people had about the differences between SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (ATI). Is their anything you guys like or dis like about the brands, and which one would you prefer?

Reason being is because i am looking at building a Gaming/ Video Editing/ Audio Recording rig in about 5 months or so and i wanted some input from others. Thanks for the help in advance.
__________________

808Alaska is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
myowngod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

in my experience I am favorable to Nvidia, why? Ati's cards seem better bang for the buck, but my GTX285 fan at 100% sounds like my HD4870 fan did at 50%... seems to be the case with most of thier cards.. also heard Sli is a little more seamless/fluid - not as many issues..
__________________

__________________
HAF 932 | i7 920 @ 4.4ghz | OCZ Platinum | EVGA GTX285-SC | EVGA X58 SLI
Corsair 1000HX | Samsung T240 & 2253bw | Watercooled
myowngod is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Alaska View Post
Howzit going everyone, i just wanted to hear some opinions that people had about the differences between SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (ATI). Is their anything you guys like or dis like about the brands, and which one would you prefer?

Reason being is because i am looking at building a Gaming/ Video Editing/ Audio Recording rig in about 5 months or so and i wanted some input from others. Thanks for the help in advance.
I'd go with AMD because of the bang for the buck available, and better chipsets (if you aren't going i7 that is, because that way its compatible with either)

However, I still say stick with AMD, because Havok will replace PhysX edge that nVidia has over AMD and Stream is taking away the CUDA edge that nVidia has again. Unless you are a dedicated folder, you could go either way, but I'd recommend AMD.
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

I disagree with all of the above. AMD isn't taking away any edge. Actually AMD is probably close to falling over the edge.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lady Techie
 
Yami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7,773
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Steam is taking away the CUDA edge that nVidia has again.
Wait what does Steam have to with CUDA? A digital distro service vs. a C-increasing-speed-thing

Anyway despite prefering nVidia, I'd have to say Crossfire since many more chipsets support it. Excluding LGA1336, as Vernong said.

And finding a chipset that does SLI and OC's well is hard! I settled for my mobo below.
__________________
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone Galaxy S7 Edge

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamikotai View Post
finding a chipset that does SLI and OC's well is hard! I settled for my mobo below.
Was hard anyway, don't get me started on my 680i, that thing was horrible. But the 1366 socket has brought new life to SLI and overclock ability and i much rather the intel chipsets.

I am going to have to disagree here with most guys, i dont prefer sli/crossfire because ones methodology is better then the others, i haven't actually used any before so i cant comment on fluidness, but essentially what i'm saying is that i prefer sli or crossfire over each other depending on which has better performance for money with different cards. For exmaple in the high price range i would love gtx 285 sli but if i wanted to spend the least i can then make no bones about it i would be going with 4890 crossfire. I still do believe nvidia cards just have that cleaner looking style about them, AMD card seem to just be less attractive but thats what i like about them, it has been known that they are sometimes loud but with the new card sat least this is easily fixed.

As for the technical difference I'm not one to say which is more effective, all i know is ATI cards split work lot across different groups of pixels while sli does half the resolution each.
__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamikotai View Post
Wait what does Steam have to with CUDA? A digital distro service vs. a C-increasing-speed-thing

Anyway despite prefering nVidia, I'd have to say Crossfire since many more chipsets support it. Excluding LGA1336, as Vernong said.

And finding a chipset that does SLI and OC's well is hard! I settled for my mobo below.
Stream... I meant Stream o_O

You got me there
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lady Techie
 
Yami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7,773
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Stream... I meant Stream o_O

You got me there
LOL that makes more sense XD
__________________
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone Galaxy S7 Edge

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Funny how one letter can change the entire meaning of something
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
myowngod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286
Default Re: SLI vs. Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Funny how one letter can change the entire meaning of something
laughter = funny
laughter + s = slaughter = not so funny...
__________________

__________________
HAF 932 | i7 920 @ 4.4ghz | OCZ Platinum | EVGA GTX285-SC | EVGA X58 SLI
Corsair 1000HX | Samsung T240 & 2253bw | Watercooled
myowngod is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
crossfire vs sli no_Wedge New Systems | Building and Buying 9 05-19-2008 10:49 AM
All New NVIDIA Chipsets to Feature IGP and Hybrid SLI maroon1 New Technology and Products 6 05-06-2008 04:19 PM
Dual monitors in sli? Drizzt New Systems | Building and Buying 21 01-27-2008 01:09 AM
Crossfire Question with X1950XT Ethereal_Dragon New Systems | Building and Buying 14 11-25-2007 01:30 AM
SLI Ready and CrossFire Ready D-Rocks System Upgrades 6 10-05-2007 10:57 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.