SLI Questions - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: SLI Questions

Thats why new boards are pci-e 2.0 which is essentially 32x

Old 04-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well the card definitely doesn't use up all of the x16 bandwidth, but it might be the problem here. lets say just for proving a point, that the the card uses up x10 of the x16 allocated bandwidth. so if you use 2 of those cards in sli, then you are loosing out on x2 of the cards potential. I don't know if this is true, it would take research and such to prove it, but its possible.

also its true generally with any type of sli or crossfire, that the rule is its better to have the next model up then 2 of the model below.

so it would be better to have 1 gts/gtx/ultra then to have 2 gt's. I know its true with the gt vs gtx, not sure about the gt vs gts though.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I know my performance definately took a hit when i was running that 650i at 8x/8x while my current board was in RMA. So its definately a possiblity that the new cards use more than 8x bandwidth.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post

also its true generally with any type of sli or crossfire, that the rule is its better to have the next model up then 2 of the model below.

so it would be better to have 1 gts/gtx/ultra then to have 2 gt's. I know its true with the gt vs gtx, not sure about the gt vs gts though.
Ya but I bought the GT when it first came out... those gts 512 wasnt out yet... wich sux for me lol but doesnt matter looks as if my mobo is queer anyway... wait can i say that if not im sorry lol
2x1gigs 667mhz OCZ
36gb Raptor
80gig SATA Hitachi HD
500gb Seagate 32mb Cache HD
EVGA 8800GT SC 512mb
Ultra X2 X-connect 550w PSU
ProView 22" 1680x1050
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
well the card definitely doesn't use up all of the x16 bandwidth, but it might be the problem here. lets say just for proving a point, that the the card uses up x10 of the x16 allocated bandwidth. so if you use 2 of those cards in sli, then you are loosing out on x2 of the cards potential. I don't know if this is true, it would take research and such to prove it, but its possible.

Unless its 2 GX2's
Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well if you're running 2 gx2's on a x8/x8 sli board. then we need to have a conversation...and not the hi how was your day kind of conversation.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'm actually somewhat afraid that my 16x/16x wont be able to keep up.
*ponders a 750i FTW.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

790i ftw.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
790i ftw.
Meh...ddr3. Plus the 750i FTW is only 189.