SLI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
Lets see if I am understanding this SLI right....Slaymate, I know you are up on this.

I now own a XFX GTX260 Black Edition......I am thinking of getting this BFG GTX 260 card.
BFG BFGEGTX260MC896OCDE Geforce GTX 260 896MB PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail at ZipZoomfly

Both cards have 896 mb of vram.....but the core clocks and the shader clocks and the memory clocks are different.

Am I correct , when I say that if I get EVGA Percision and make all of the clocks on the core, memory and shader the same.....that these 2 cards will work in sli with no problem?

If so will it matter what card I have in the primary slot?

That BFG GTX 260 that I list from zipzoomfly seems to be the cheapest card that I can find that is 216 streaming processors....it is $181 with free shipping........

Am I correct in all of this and will it be a nice upgrade?

Any tips you guys have for sli , I would love to hear them, as this is my first time at trying it.....

they will work in SLI no problem, regardless of the different clocks. the slower of the two will just downclock the other card so both match. then you can OC both.

i don't think it matters which card goes in theprimary slot

it should be a pretty nice upgrade... especially at high reso's

It depends upon your motherboard somewhat. With my mobo, the card in the primary slot controls the speed of both cards. But with your older 680i mobo I think the slower card will control the speeds.

But, if you use EVGA Precision, you can just pick which card you want in control (see highlighted image below) and press the sync button (if needed). And then you can make adjustments to one card and it applies the settings to both. You can also monitor your temperatures and frames per seconds in game with the On Screen Display (OSD) option.

precision.jpg

Edit: I originally bought a standard speed EVGA GTX 280 and 2 weeks later I got a deal on a BFG GTX 280 with the same clock speeds, all was well. About a month later the EVGA card died on me, rma'd it with no problems, but they sent me a OC'ed card instead with completely different speeds. I haven't had any problems since. I did buy a nice new heatsink for them about 6 months later. And then I bought an even better heatsink for them a few months after that :D

I found a guy selling Evga 216 core superclocked edition cards for $135 shipped

granted no more warranty.... but it's over 25% savings over a new card

thought you might be interested?

Thanks Slaymate....I have already downloaded EVGA Precision, so I will be all ready once my new card arrives. EVGA Precision looks pretty easy to use.

Thanks for that link Fat.Clown.......except I have already ordered the BFG GTX260 from zipzoomfly.com

Can anybody post a link of what sli bridge i will need for GTX260.....and where i can buy one.....thanks.

The bridge should be in your mobo box :D

:silly: Found It :silly:

Do video card drivers need to be installed for both cards, or do I just need to throw the other card in and connect the bridge and then enable in bios and Nvidia control panel.

Slaymate...according to EVGA Precision...your cards are going to freeze.......those new heatsinks must be sweet......my one card idles at 46 and thats not bad for stock cooling with fan at 40%

:silly: Found It :silly:

Do video card drivers need to be installed for both cards, or do I just need to throw the other card in and connect the bridge and then enable in bios and Nvidia control panel.

Un-install your present drivers. Install the new card and re-install the drivers.

Whirlwind said:
Slaymate...according to EVGA Precision...your cards are going to freeze.......those new heatsinks must be sweet......my one card idles at 46 and thats not bad for stock cooling with fan at 40%

Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 and it's compatible with the GTX 260. But it's slightly larger than the stock heatsink :D

Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME GTX 280 Products Model: ACCELX280 [ACCELX280] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

5 days after I order the card...zipzoomfly tells me it is out of stock....in the mean time now newegg is out of stock on the same card....good lord :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom