To SLI or not to SLI?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeslangley

Baseband Member
Ok,

I am looking at upgrading the main compontents of my computer within the next 2 months and have the following decision.

I havent decided on the actual components yet but the graphics card is whats really bugging me.

Do I go for a single 7800 PCIE card, or could this be outperformed by two 6800 cards in SLI ?

What would be the better option for good gaming?

The 7800GTX is still a very good card and is very powerful, Dual 6800s would be a little cheaper, but not by much, you wouldn't gain much of a increase if any with 6800s running SLI. If you really want performace save the $30-$50 and just get a motherboard with 1xPCIE slot and just go with the 7800GTX. I believe they would equal out in price. :)

you know you can just get a mobo with 2xPCIE-16 and just put one 7800GTX in there :D

is there actually that much diffirence in performance between the 6800 and 7800.... basically enough to warrant the extra 100 pounds (what ever in dollars?)

7800 is obviously better in performance compared to a 6800. I'm leaning towards the 7800 here.
If you really want performace save the $30-$50 and just get a motherboard with 1xPCIE slot and just go with the 7800GTX.

Yeah, of course I understand the 7800 is the current flagship but what i mean is whats the actual diffirence in performance, if you took a single sysem and benched it with the 6800 and then 7800 what would be the diffirence ?

Nvidia tries to make you think SLI is the future and you need it for good gaming performance. However, one 7800GTX will do the trick. The 7800GTX has 30-50% more performance than the 6800 Ultra depending on the resolution and anti-aliasing. The 24 pipes of the 7800GTX provide a better fill rate which really helps the card out at ultra-high resolutions. Just be sure to get an SLI board so you can add another 7800GTX later on if it is needed.

well of course, look at the specs: 24 pipelines, higher memory clock, ect ect. but the FASTEST and most expensive card is the X1800X. i personally think its not worth the extra 200 bucks... the 7800 will do that job for about another two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom