Sli-f

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo214

Baseband Member
Can't find a definition for it anywhere, and I'm assuming it means 2 pci-e 16x slots as found on the MSI K8N motherboard. I'd just like to know what the purpose of the other 16x slot is, and why it's needed in addition to the 2 1x slots that can be used for SLI. Also do you HAVE to use 2 video cards on these motherboards?

I have no idea what the SLI-F that you're talking about is. There is only one MSI K8N Motherboard with 2 x PCI-E 16x slots, and that's the Diamond, which AFAIK, isn't available as retail anymore.

SLI stands for Serial Link Interface. It is Nvidia's technology to let you use 2 identical videocards in your computer at the same time. Performance increases range from 30% to 80%, depending on the game and how well it utilizes two videocards.

Since one [modern] videocard requires a PCI-E 16x slot, to SLI, you would need two of these slots. There are many motherboards out there with 2 PCI-E 16x slots. They normally cost more than those with only one, for obvious reasons. You do not have to use the second slot on these motherboards if you only have one PCI-E 16x videocard.

PCI-E 1x slots can not be used for videocards.

neo214 said:

I stand corrected.

The SLI-F is just there as part of the motherboard's name, it has no significant meaning. Its like the Neo4-F that some other MSI K8N boards are named.

BTW, you aren't going to buy from that website, are you?

TriEclipse said:
SLI stands for Serial Link Interface. It is Nvidia's technology to let you use 2 identical videocards in your computer at the same time. Performance increases range from 30% to 80%, depending on the game and how well it utilizes two videocards.

SLI stands for Scalable Link Interface, and not Serial Link Interface. Just had to point that out.

Yeah, that's all I get for being a poor college student though. heh, it's kind of like gambling though, fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom