SLI with Evga and XFX 6800 gt's

Status
Not open for further replies.
llama said:
After some googling and looking through the previous posts under this topic I couldn't really find anything regarding my problem so I felt it time for a new post. I have a somewhat aging machine. It is an AMD 64 3500+ venice, Jetway SLI MOBO, 1 gig OCZ platinum revision 2 PC 3200 Ram, Western Digital 36 gig Raptor, Antec 550w SLI power source, and an Evga 6800 gt (model # 256-P2-N376-AX) video card. After some thought, because my computer is already set up for sli, I have decided to purchase another 6800 gt and go to SLI instead of purchasing a better single video card. Because the 6800 gt is discontinued it is somewhat hard to find and usually overpriced. Today I found and purchased an XFX 6800 gt card today on e-bay for a bargain price (new by the way) and figured I had solved my problem. I asked the seller for the specs and told him what I intended to do. He basically told me that what I planned would work without giving me the specs, by the time I recieved a reply the auction was soon to end and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. But after some research I have gathered some troubling information. A few sights I have visited say that "the card features the same reference core and memory speeds as the EVGA 6800 GT" while others say that the GPU speeds and memory speeds are slightly faster. The seller has said that former and I am wondering if this is true. I realize with coolbits I could overclock the evga to match but have heard that most evga's are already so tweaked out of the factory that usually overclocking via coolbits results in the blue screen o' death. So the question comes down to will the card be compatible and should I pay the seller? or will it not work with my current rig and should I dispute the sale to e-bay for the seller not providing me with the correct information? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

-oooorgle bleeeat

it hurts my eyes to read something layed out like this.

but i've heard of people doing it before, im prety sure you could do it now, just ask on XS first to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom