SLI with Evga and XFX 6800 gt's - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default SLI with Evga and XFX 6800 gt's

After some googling and looking through the previous posts under this topic I couldn't really find anything regarding my problem so I felt it time for a new post. I have a somewhat aging machine. It is an AMD 64 3500+ venice, Jetway SLI MOBO, 1 gig OCZ platinum revision 2 PC 3200 Ram, Western Digital 36 gig Raptor, Antec 550w SLI power source, and an Evga 6800 gt (model # 256-P2-N376-AX) video card. After some thought, because my computer is already set up for sli, I have decided to purchase another 6800 gt and go to SLI instead of purchasing a better single video card. Because the 6800 gt is discontinued it is somewhat hard to find and usually overpriced. Today I found and purchased an XFX 6800 gt card today on e-bay for a bargain price (new by the way) and figured I had solved my problem. I asked the seller for the specs and told him what I intended to do. He basically told me that what I planned would work without giving me the specs, by the time I recieved a reply the auction was soon to end and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. But after some research I have gathered some troubling information. A few sights I have visited say that "the card features the same reference core and memory speeds as the EVGA 6800 GT" while others say that the GPU speeds and memory speeds are slightly faster. The seller has said that former and I am wondering if this is true. I realize with coolbits I could overclock the evga to match but have heard that most evga's are already so tweaked out of the factory that usually overclocking via coolbits results in the blue screen o' death. So the question comes down to will the card be compatible and should I pay the seller? or will it not work with my current rig and should I dispute the sale to e-bay for the seller not providing me with the correct information? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

-oooorgle bleeeat

Old 05-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Your not supposed to mix and match.

Even say if you buy an eVGA one month and then another 3 months later, chances are its diffrent in some way and it wont work.

I wouldnt do it at all..

You have a nice card, wait for G80 R600....

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Nah, dont listen to him. With the new drivers it should work. Check out XS, its been done plenty of times.

I cannot say it is 100% stable because I have never tried it, but Im 90% sure it will be fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by wtk pro l
Nah, dont listen to him. With the new drivers it should work. Check out XS, its been done plenty of times.

I cannot say it is 100% stable because I have never tried it, but Im 90% sure it will be fine.

Really?

You sure?

hmmm....

Guess I might be wrong...I was pretty sure that you cant mix and match diffrent brands, but if there are new drivers out I guess you can.

My mistake

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 05-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

r u Llama from [KRYP] ???
Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I heard you can mix and match brands, just not cards. You can group two whole different cards with CrossFire though I think.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Check out XS, its been done plenty of times.

not familiar with XS, software of some sort? see I had also heard that you could mix and match brands just not series like the 6800 with a 7800

on a separate note crossfire is kinda cool in that you can use two different series of cards, but the downside is I believe that the better card only will perform at the lesser cards' speed.

and no I am not llama from [KRYP]

-oooorgle bleeeat
Old 05-31-2006, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

from what i've read from nvidia's site, as long as they are the same core its okay to go, but it will run at the slower speeds clock speed
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 05-31-2006, 04:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

they can be mixed as long as the cards have similar specs, but no guarantees.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Quote:
Originally posted by llama
not familiar with XS, software of some sort? see I had also heard that you could mix and match brands just not series like the 6800 with a 7800

on a separate note crossfire is kinda cool in that you can use two different series of cards, but the downside is I believe that the better card only will perform at the lesser cards' speed.

and no I am not llama from [KRYP]

-oooorgle bleeeat
xs = xtremesystem .com or .org >>>idk, never go there.

But, I plan on getting another nVidia card to SLI, and i know way bought at the same time - a bunch of people buy another months later and im sure it works!

Closed Thread