SLI/Crossfire: The cold hard truth

Which case is the best all around case?

• Cooler Master Centurion 5 case w/ window.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NZXT Trinity case.

• Antec super lanboy

• My case is better

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently spent around 600$ total on my system to get it into a decent gaming computer. although in a year or so im thinking of totaly restarting with around 2000$. to get to the point. i have a Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT. would it be worth my time to just get a better card or use SLI? seems to me just get a better card, especaly considering alot can happen in a year.

I just wanted to say that you can only expect so much from technology during certain time periods. I use a single X1900XT video card and that is more than enough to run any game out right now on high settings with no lag. Two of these or 2 nvidias is not necessary.. and buying a cheap video card in hopes of SLI or CROSSFIRE later is just a foolish idea. The cards get outdated and replaced constantly by bigger and better ones. You want some good advice.... buy one good video card and use it for years. Then when new game technology comes out you can advance to a new card once again... but again, buy something decent. Having 2 crossfired X1600's or 2 SLI'ed 6200's is not going to make you happy.. I promise. Just take the money that you would use to buy 2 junkers and put it all to one good card that you will have fun with. The SLI and Crossfire features are great for people who have nothing better to spend there money on and play on 24 inch monitors with settings cranked on everything. But for the average Joe with a computer that cost them less than $2000 inluding their 17, 19, or 20 inch monitor.. you will not be needing SLI or Crossfire.. just be sure to invest in a good video card right off the bat.

And as a side note... this is to all you guys with 2 $600 video cards in your systems:
"I STILL OWN YOU AND I KNOW YOU HATE IT" hahaha
~Peace~

so does that mean an ATI card that is x800 but not crossfire can use crossfire if the other GPU is crossfire enabled? Im buying all that i can afford in a GPU right now, and if i wanna upgrade later it would be nice the have the option to use crossfire.

I'm curious if using a dual core processor would have made a difference in the sli performance. Obviously 2 graphics cards are more taxing than one but wouldn't it be twice as much? My point is if you have two lower end cards (less money) compared to one high end (more money) are we comparing what happens to the cpu? Does two low end sli video cards need more cpu processing power than one high end video card? If so, if you have more processing power does the performance of sli increase? In other words is sli's performance limited in anyway by the cpu?

I am currently running 2 7900 GTX's in SLI and I can say firmly that it is not a waste of money. One thing to keep in mind is resolution and how big your monitor is as well. If you want to use a 24" monitor at high resolutions and have excellent performance on the newest games than SLI or the 7950 is manditory. Other factors to consider are-

Some games utilize certain hardware in different games. Some are CPU intensive while others are ram or video gpu speed. Some are all of the above. It never hurts to have the best all the way around but there are certainly differenceses.

so what do you lot reckon on the 7950GX2 running 2 GPU's on one card :D

how about putting it in 'QUAD SLI' tht must be a beauty ??

woah...this thread is still going lol....I'd say the tables have turned a bit now with more graphic intense games and higher resolution. SLI went from "silly" to almost a must for some settings. CPU limitation....Here we come!

I would like to say first that was one heck of an opener and a very well organized and put together post. Props to you sir.

Now I show my ignorance . I was under the impression that SLI and Xfire were more intended for multiple monitor setups, which would help distribute the work load in a better way...am I wrong?

-HBBK131

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom