SLI 8800GT EVGA vs Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ren89

Solid State Member
Quick question, I have the Galaxy 8800GT in my system and my son has the EVGA 8800GT in his. He is looking to go SLI with his card or mine, his motherboard is the 590 SLI so he should be ok there. What I'm wondering is if there is any real difference between going SLI with two EVGA 8800GT vs the Galaxy 8800GT? I know the cooler on the galaxy is better so that would be good in keeping the heat down but he has an Antec 900 that sounds like a plane it has so many fans going, don't think heating will be a big issue. Other than that, any real reason to go with one over the other? I also understand that EVGA has a better warranty and the step up program but am looking purely at performance.

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics

and

NCIX.com - Buy Galaxy GeForce 8800GT Overclocked 600MHZ 512MB 2.0GHZ DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out OEM Video Card - 88YFF6HUFEXV In Canada.

Don't worry about prices, isn't a factor, just want to know best performance...

well there would be no difference really, other then the galaxy cooling. So the ideal choice would be for him to get another galaxy 8800gt

They both are clocked exactly the same

you're choice is to base it either on price, or that the Galaxy having a better cooling (also you have to use NCIXUS.com for USA)

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll probably switch the cards around and get him a second galaxy then as they usually run cheaper. That's going to be a busy case with both cards in it.

One last question, is the EVGA 590SLI motherboard going to hold the SLI back at all, I know it's not that old but technology changes so fast I'm not sure and I'm not really up on my SLI.

I'm not 100% sure what to look for in the manual, it says both are X16 slots, but I remembered reading somewhere that the 590 boards are PCIe 1.0 rather than 2.0 and that fact limits the SLI capabilities, does that make sense? I don't know the difference between 1.0 vs 2.0 so really have no clue what I'm saying here, just spouting some hearsay that I may have confused with something else.

Thanks again!

One more quick question, would I be able to run an ASUS 8800gt in sli with an EVGA? Here is the EVGA we have now:

NCIXUS.com - Buy EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card - 512-P3-N801-AR.

and can i sli it with this ASUS one?

NCIXUS.com - Buy ASUS GeForce 8800GT 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card - EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M.

Sorry if this is a stupid question :)

Yes, any two cards of the same series can be run together.

Heck if you wanted to, and this wouldn't be smart mind you, you could run a 256mb 8800gt with a 512mb variant and they would work fine together.

Your one 8800gt would get crippled of 256mb of memory but... you get my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom