Sli 8600 gt's worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo man, buy most of your rig from Newegg, and the card get from somewhere else. Don't get anything lower than an 8800GT if your budget is around $200, yeah sure, $270 is expensive, but look around and you'll find $229, trust me, I've made the mistake about being picky with graphics cards, my biggest regret in my computer building history, that extra $20-$40 can take you miles ahead, but this is especially true with the 8800GT. I'll post an American e-tailer with a good price if I can find one (maybe you can make your whole order there?)

Here's one at $249: Amazon.com: PNY XLR8 8800GT 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card: Electronics

... or if you postpone your build, they will drop in price to $199, and some of your other parts will get cheap too. Have you made a thread for this build your making? Maybe we can make suggestions and whatnot? Give you that little extra room to get a better graphics card.

Well I squeezed some money out of my parents and that gives me enough to buy a 8800gt along with an x2 4000, 2gb of G.SKILL ram, and a decent gigabyte motherboard. Theres some other parts but they are unimportant.

Really quick side note what are the maximum safe temperatures and voltage for that cpu with stock cooling and what clocks have you guys hit with the 8800 gt on stock cooling?

I'm assuming you got a am2 65nm x2 4000 so it may be different but for my skt939 x2 3800 the very very highest you would want to go is 60c. I'm not sure about voltage but I think I've heard 1.4v but on my system I have 2.8ghz @ 1.2v which is lower than stock so you might not need to worry about the max voltage to much.

Cool, I cant wait to order this wednesday. Sorry for the attitude in the beginning of the thread. I knew people were going to say get a 8800gt but at the time that wasnt an option and I can only order from newegg. I am hoping to push the ram to ddr1000 and the cpu close to 3ghz. Both seem to be possible but the ram will probably top out at ddr900 or so. Can't wait to see the performance difference between the rig in my sig.

Not only are the all out of stock on newegg but the cheapest one is $270. Now I know im not a mathematician, but $270>$200. Also 8600 gt=100$. $100x2=$200 $270 is still greater than $200. Look guys, I need a simple answer. Here lets play Madlibs, sli 8600 gt's or ________ for $200 or under.
the only descent 8800gt i found was this Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

i would not buy any of teh ones for 100 bucks, there warranty is probably horriblre, and you should kno that a vga is probably the part most likely to fail in your system, no matter what company it is, so youl want a good warranti. now for the price of two of those i would get a 8800gt.

Almost everyone on this site recommends Crucial Ballistix or G.skill ram because they overclock really really well and typically can be found pretty cheap. So your probably be ok.

yeah 60* will be about as high as you want to go. you can put 1.5V thru a brisbane, but not unless you have good cooling. and really it is unneccessary to run it that hot. you should be able to reach 3ghz with about 1.4V or so, maybe a little less...maybe a little more.
with a good overclock your ram will possibly reach ddr2 1000. depends on the model and luck, really.
my 8800gt will run at 700/975-1000/1750(shader) on stock cooling. it gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hot though, but it seems to be okay. i dont see the need at the moment to run it higher than 600/900/1500, as it pretty much kicks @$$ with those clocks. i only raise it high for my own gratification and to run 3dmark.
it seems that most of us have a limit right around 700 for the core and 1000 for the memory.

the only descent 8800gt i found was this Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

i would not buy any of teh ones for 100 bucks, there warranty is probably horriblre, and you should kno that a vga is probably the part most likely to fail in your system, no matter what company it is, so youl want a good warranti. now for the price of two of those i would get a 8800gt.

What in the **** are you ranting on about. VGA cards aren't likely to fail at all. The easiest way of saying it is, if it works when you get it, it will work until you upgrade.

Nowadays, there aren't really any components that regularly fail.

Also learn how to spell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom