slave HD, how does it work? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Future ex-member
Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

this is the HD I currently have

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

no sata's u do not need jumpers moving you set master and slave on the mobo one slot 4 master one for slave

Thermaltake armour LCS Watercooled
Asus P5N32-SLI Mobo
Intel Core2 quad Extreme Q6600 OC'd to (4x3.00 )
Ati Powercolour Hd 4870 1048mb
X3 Western Digital raptor's 80gb 10,000 Rpm
Enermax 1000W Galaxy
Saitek Cyborg Keyboard
Logitech G9 lazer mouse
Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit
Old 08-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera
Default Re: slave HD, how does it work?

Originally posted by lancec2c30
I have a lot of music on my computer (32 gig's) and wanted to just keep it on a seperate HD for my comp. Now I have to put in a second HD as a slave drive correct?

But do I have to install windows on it for it to be recognized by windows? I would want to reformat it also if it is from another existing computer correct?

And I know what refomratting is but have never done it. Isnt it in BIOS or is it a download??

Doesn't have to be configured as Slave. Slave and Master are exactly the same; which one you need depends on the situation. Only thing to keep in mind is 1 Master & 1 Slave per IDE cable. Doesn't matter which one has Windows on it.

Your best bet is to go Slave if there's already another device on the cable; if there is not, try Master first.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Originally posted by JoshSB
Hey Sui, wouldn't you have to do that to a SATA as well, or are all SATA's considered Master drives?
Nope only one sata drive per cable, no need for master and slave.

And jumpers are everywhere, but the one we're talking about is on the back of the drive. Don't go screwing with the jumpers on the motherboard, not unless you know what they do. Basicly a jumper looks like a little plastic thing thats about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch wide, and just goes overtop 2 pins, connecting them, or 'jumping' them. Black is the most popular color, but I've seen blue, and white too, so they can any color.

Another thing I didn't think of it in my origonal post but....This is for IDE only. You should have 2 IDE ports on your motherboard each port can have 2 devices attached, meaning 4 total. Most correctly setup computers have harddrives separate from CD drives, because the cd drive usually bogs down a harddrive. You may have single drive IDE cables, which is no big deal but _if so_ you'll have to swap out the cable for one that has 2 ports.

Your motherboard manual should show if you have sata, and where either IDE or SATA ports are located and will probably even have pictures of each.

Closed Thread