SLACR vs. E8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
Currently I am using the B3 rev. of the Q6600 and would like to try and clock more than I can at the moment. I was thinking about trying to get a SLACR but I've seen some posts saying that the E8600 is really the way to go... I'll be watercooling... what is everyones opinion on this?? (game a lot, kinda multitask but not certain if I do it enough to really REQUIRE a quad)

Thanks!!

Well, i dont know if they are still on the G0 revision of Q6600s anymore. But it is certainly the general concensus that the latest Q6600 have been fairly poor overclockers, comparable to the old B3s. So if you wanted a good overclocker then you would have to get a second hand one.

Otherwise i guess the E8600 is the best bet, unless you want to go to a Q9550. I personally would want to go back to a dual, but lots of people have so they can clock the crap out of an E8600. It seems pretty easy to get over 4Ghz on air. So if its for gaming thats probably the way to go.

Just to clarify, q6600 B3 sucked too '07 q6600 G0. But recent G0 are ewwy!
Not true at all, actually a lot of b3's clocked nearly or just as high as most of the early G0's. I had owned both a b3 and a early G0 and both overclocked very similar on my 680i. But you are right in saying the new g0's suck, i have heard they are not getting nice clocks at all.
With a good p45 motherboard it would seem the cutoff for a good q6600 overclock would be about 3.4/6GHz

Yeah the wolfdales are just in a whole new league compared to the kentsfields. But you can't say they didn't have a good run, q6600 still isn't a bad processor today and it's about what, over 2 years old now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom